Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

a mechanic refuses to release my car to me even though i paid

Customer Question

a mechanic refuses to release my car to me even though i paid him in full . He claims he informed me that my car has been done since november, but i went out on dec 8 to check on it and it was not touched. now he is trying to charge me for storage costs.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
At this point all you can do is file suit for return of your car. You can claim breach of contract on his part as well as what is known as "conversion" which is the civil law version of theft. The court can make a finding that the car is yours and order him to release it to you immediately. If there is an order the Sheriff can then assist you in getting the car.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I meant anything other than take him to court as I have no money for a lawyer and since he has my car, no way of getting there. should have been more specific but this is of no help to me. i could have read that out of my business law text book.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately we can only answer based on the facts given.

In your case, if the police are not willing to assist you then your only option is to file suit. There is no other way to force the return of the vehicle.