Experience:  23 Years as attorney, licensed NY and FL. Former US ATTY.

Under California law, should I have to pay return shipping

Customer Question

Under California law, should I have to pay return shipping charges for a defective mattress under warranty?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  FLACORPLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
This TOTALLY depends upon the written warranty statement which you got with the mattress. It is common that where a company has to replace a defective good, the customer is responsible for shipping the old one back, and they have to ship the new one out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am almost certain that California has a more consumer- friendly law that no other state has that disallows charges to consumers related to returning defective goods. I've seen reference to this law in various return policies. Of course, I can't find any now. I would love it if you could prove me right. (I'm returning a defective mattress; shipping will be expensive!)