How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 24869
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I default on a timeshare unsecured loan what happens if

Customer Question

If I default on a timeshare unsecured loan what happens if they sue me for collection?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

What state is the timeshare in?


What state do you reside in?


Are you married and, if so, did he/she also sign for the timeshare?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. The timeshare is world wide through worldmark and I live in washington state. I believe the contract and paperwork is out of washington state. I am married. He did not sign.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

Is this the type of timeshare that you can stay anywhere ust make application or arrangements where you want to stay?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. It is based on a credit system. You purchase so many credits that are renewable each year and the resorts are assigned credit values for stays.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

How long of a contract did you sign for this?


How much are you talking about?


Do you have the right to sell your interest?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
4 page contract
contract was for 11,340.00 cash price, 17572.80 financed price with 7500.00 left owing on the account.
I have the right to sell but my account has already been refered to outside collection. Nightmare situation with company having access to my bank account. I have had no alternative several times but to teminate their access only to have to re-up on auto withdraw to become current again!
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

You should immediately change banks tomorrow and close this account and inform them of such.


I would start the sales process of your interest immediately - the negative is that they market it for you I'm sure.


You have little oweing considering what was financed - is there no way you can or could continue to make the payments just for the purposes of resale?


The other problem you have is that Washington is a community property state which effects how debts can be collected and whom can be collected against.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am being told I have until the first of the year to pay the 2500.00 I am behind from the last go round we had where after being very angry at their again misusing my bank account I entered into a deferal process to become current again, was told the only way to complete the deferal was auto withdraw, I agreed yet again, was told I had to sign a piece of paper with the authorized date on it, I sent it in, they claimed they never received it, I resent two more times, they claimed they never received it and would not withdraw out of my account (which was a switch) and so I am now where I am in a total lose / lose.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

I have heard nothing good about any of these timeshare places, companies - whatever. I have yet to talk to someone with a good experience or that hasn't lost a fortune. It seems that the only people happy are the people selling the timeshares or the company selling the timeshares.


What can they do to you - file suit, win an award, reduce the award to judgment, execute upon the judgment against both you and your husband because your in a community property state. It's bad when your in a community property state because the spouse is also liable for the debt.


What to do - try and pay and sell at the same time if you can.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what does it usually look like when they execute upon a judgement?

This particular company Trendwest already has at least one judgement against it from the attorney genereal of ca. in 2003 and they viloated almost everything they were ordered by him to correct when they sold to me in 2004.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

When I mean "execute upon a judgment" - that they attempt to collect monies to satisfy the judgment - come in and tag furniture for sale, lien your bank accounts, garnish wages, etc.


Nothing to do with the AG's Office.


However, you might file a complaint with the AG's office and see what if anything is going on there as to this company.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions