Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I live in Texas and bought a Boxer from Petland. I know there

Customer Question

I live in Texas and bought a Boxer from Petland. I know there is no Puppy Lemon Law here. Petlands policy is you can give the puppy back for another pet if there's a congenital defect (which our Boxer has one, Demodex). We returned him (without a replacement puppy yet) and 2 months later got a call from the Animal Shelter telling us they had our dog (because of his chip). We picked him up and he was VERY, VERY sick. He had been out on his own for atleast a month. We took the Boxer to Petland and the owner said he would pay the bills to get him better. Well, he's getting better but not quite there yet but now the owner or Petland has refused to pay anymore bills. He was $1200.00 and I believe I deserve a healthy dog and I do not want to return him because they left him for dead. Do I have ANY legal rights to get the vet bills paid?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 years ago.
Unless petland has agreed to cover all vet expenses, it would not be legally responsible. Its policy is to replace, not reimburse but sounds like you have room to negotiate with petland further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank-you! Do you think I have reason to not follow "policy" if I did it once already and ended up finding my dog extremely emaciated and completed scabbed over.
But I dont see how you can hold liable at fault for this. Are you saying the vet has your dog and took bad care of it causing it to get sick?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, when we found out our Boxer had a congenital defect, we returned him to Petland. 2 months later the local animal shelter called us. Somehow Petland (after getting him back from us) let him loose and he got very ill because his Demodex wasn't cared for.

I am a compassionate person and do NOT want to return the dog again because he was left for dead, but Petland is telling me this is my only choice (to return this dog and get another in exchange). I just want help with the medical bills.

You should press petland under these conditions to cover the vet expenses or you will sue, report their conduct to the BBB and dept of consumer affairs.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank-you very much! I really appreciate the advice! Smile
You got it. I hope you get the justice you deserve here. As a cat owner myself, I hate to hear about animal cruelty.