Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney
12106879

I am a patient of a methadone clinic in Knoxville, TN. Have

Customer Question

I am a patient of a methadone clinic in Knoxville, TN. Have been for 7 years. I have done very well on the program, I pass all my drug screens and I go to school, don't engage in criminal activity anymore and haven't since 01, when I was admitted into the clinic. But I am having a big problem now. I borrowed a Iburprofen from a friend that had been contaminated by a xanex because the dummy keeps her meds in the same bottle when she goes out. I tested positive for benzo's, but then I paid to have the test done again with a more sophisticated test called G Mass. Luckily it came back negative. This should have been the end of it, but this counselor took it one step further and had the pharmacy staff do a inquiry on me through the TN. RX Database and they claim I have had narcotic drugs prescribed and did not inform the clinic. I had nothing to do with this, now they are wanting to drop my phase, possibly discharge me. Isn't this a type of breach of contract? I pay them $400 monthly.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 8 years ago.
It is not a breach of contract. They have the right to make sure you comply with the rules. That is in almost every contract for these types of services. In this case, that means they had the right to check if you had a prescription based on the positive screen. Yes, it turned out the second test came back negative, but the first test did not and that gave them enough suspicion to look further.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You are right, they do have the right to make sure I am complying, but they didn't check Tennessee RX until after the test came back negative. My counselor thinks I am a dope slinging thug, and it pissed her off when she seen I was telling the truth. This has been going on for two weeks. This clinic is ruthless. We are treated like malfunctioning computers instead of actual human beings. I am taking the paralegal studies program at the local community college, can you not think of anything civil I could throw at them to get them off my back. I did not do this, I didn't get any other drugs, it may have been my sister if it was actually done, but it wasn't me. I know you probably have never known anyone that has been on this methadone. It saved my life, but if a person is forced to detox off this stuff cold turkey or too fast, you feel like your going to die and i am school, if i am sick, I can't study, if I can't study, I will fail, if I fail, there goes my life down the toliet again along with my student loans and aid. Come on you are a California lawyer, surely you can think of something.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

You are right, they do have the right to make sure I am complying, but they didn't check Tennessee RX until after the test came back negative. My counselor thinks I am a dope slinging thug, and it pissed her off when she seen I was telling the truth. I have beeen clean for 7 years, everything has been positive for me. This has been going on for two weeks. This clinic is ruthless. We are treated like malfunctioning computers instead of actual human beings. I am taking the paralegal studies program at the local community college, can you not think of anything civil I could throw at them to get them off my back. I did not do this, I didn't get any other drugs, it may have been my sister if it was actually done, but it wasn't me. I know you probably have never known anyone that has been on this methadone. It saved my life, but if a person is forced to detox off this stuff cold turkey or too fast, you feel like your going to die and i am school, if i am sick, I can't study, if I can't study, I will fail, if I fail, there goes my life down the toliet again along with my student loans and aid. Come on you are a California lawyer, surely you can think of something. Cool But, thank you very much anyway.

Melanie Burns

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
oh I forgot to mention this counselor called me a drug dealer, made negative comments about my lifestyle, just because I borrowed a ibuprofen from my neighbor.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 8 years ago.
I cannot come up with any cause of action you have. I know that methadone can be a life saver for some people. I think you may need to find a new clinic. I know that is difficult but it may be your best chance to stay with a program that is helping you.

Good luck.