Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

PG&E has shut off my utilities for a past due bill belonging

PG&E has shut off my utilities for a past due bill belonging to my roommate at my old residence. I just bought a house of my own and moved. Apparently because they can prove i lived at the residence, her unpaid bill, which was in her name with her PG&E account number, has been attached to my PG&E account making my bill show the over due, delinquent balance of $2000, which at this time I can not afford to pay. So now I have no GAS or Electricity in my new home. PG&E wants my bill paid in full to restore services. IS THIS LEGAL???
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
I don't see how unless your agreement with them states that they can do this. It is probably just one of their tactics that nobody ever challenges.

The easiest thing for you to do is pay the bill, making sure that you mark it "Paid under protest", and then sue the company.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I DID NOT AGREE TO ANYTHING, I HAD MOVED AND THE $ AMOUNT FROM HER UN PAID PG&E ACCOUNT APPEARED ON MY BILL AT MY NEW RESIDENCE.

HAVING JUST PURCHASED MY FIRST HOME, I DON'T HAVE THE $2000 TO PAY THE BILL. I AM NOW LIVING W/O ELECTRICITY.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
I am unaware of any law that will allow them to do that. However, they have the upper hand. The best solution if you can't pay the bill is to file suit against them in small claims court and ask the judge to make a determination that you are not responsible for the bill.