J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years of litigation experience.

Is viewing pornography illegal?

Is viewing online pornography illegal? I very seldom do it, but my buddies and I do once in a while, mainly for a good laugh! But, I have noticed that there are sections with teens, albeit I'm sure 18-19 year olds. But how do you know? do these websites have to adhere to certain restrictions? there are some sites where people can post their own pornographic videos, so how is age checked? I think it has gotten out of control with online pornography and i've decided that we'd be a lot better off without it! Thanks for the info!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.

Viewing online pornography of adults is not illegal. Viewing pornographic images of children is a crime in many states. A person viewing this information does not know whether the sites scrupulously keep all images of minors off their sites.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement
with my law firm.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks! I appreciate the answer, but just wanted clarify one thing. These sites are not required to adhere to certain guidelines when it comes to minors? I am sure I am like thousands of other adults, but I do NOT want to be viewing minors and breaking any law! Those people need to be incarcerated! Is there any reason to worry about this? The teen links may be "of age" adults, and being they are being posted by the individuals and do not need verification it seems like there's a loophole and it may all be legal actually. Thanks again for your response and I have now come to a conclusion that this is definitely not something for me! Much more important things in life!

Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
They are required to take action to ensure that minors are not exploited; however, there are few guarantees that this exploitation does not occur. Those sites are subject to criminal prosecution, but it certainly is possible that minors are appearing in those sites. Criminal prosecutions in these situations is common, but it would be unrealistic to believe that the exploitation of children in some of these sites does not occur.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

So, being the paranoid one I there any reason for my buddies and I to worry about getting into trouble if we have viewed these sites with teens in them? We are young...and at times dumb! Thanks for putting my mind at ease! This is not worth it!

Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
The chances are extremely low that you and your friends will be prosecuted. First the authorities must prove that minors were used, secondly they would go after the site, and then they would have a nearly impossible task of going after everyone that viewed the site. It is extremely unlikely that you and your friends will be arrested. Good luck in your future.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So the chance is there? I was hoping it was zero being as we had no wrong intentions. Not sure my conscience can live with that possibility. I have a future and goals to achieve. Sorry to bother you again
Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
The reason that I said it was a possibility is because I cannot control the events in the future. There is a chance that you will be hit by lightning--there is a chance that you would be charged with a crime relating to this. It is extremely unlikely, but the possibility, however remote, is present.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Guess I'm just wondering what you would do? I/we had no idea how old these people could have been? And everything very well could be 100% legal. Is there any way to check the legality of a website? I NEED to get this resolved for my own personal state of mind. I have submitted payment again for your gracious help. I cannot thank you enough. One of life's lessons that's for sure.