Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a Kubota B6200 HST - D tractor (4x4) that went

Customer Question

I have a Kubota B6200 HST - D tractor (4x4) that went through a light building fire (melted the seat cover, the steering wheel & taillight lenses but the wiring all appears to be intact & functional. About 2 weeks after the fire and the insurance adjusters, I started it to see if anything was drastically wrong. It started as usual and I let it run for a bit to look for any issues. Finding none, I shut it off. The building it is in allowed a bit of blowing rain in, but nothing I found that got to any wiring, etc. I was going to move it out of the building, but it would not start. Glow plug preheat lit, but when I turned the key to "start", there was nothing. The started did not move. I pulled the starter & had it checked & it was fine. I have checked all of the wiring & have found no corroded connections or other obvious issues. Any thought / suggestions?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

Hi Mike, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. With that much heat I would be concerned about the internal electrical components and soldered connections melting ans causing shorts or loose solder joints etc. What is your serial number of your tractor?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dan, As I indicated, I find no corrosion or loose (failed solder) at any of the connections. Is there a particular internal component you had in mind? Also noted that the starter has been tested & found to be perfectly functional.
Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

Hi Mike,Thanks for the update. This is going to take more than just a visual inspection which will only reveal the obvious if present.You will need to test the wiring for continuity with an OHM meter and check for good grounds as well as for voltage using the DC volt scale on your meter. If the wiring tests good grounds and continuity, test for power in and out of the key switch in the on and cranking positions. If none out of the switch cranking it points to a faulty switch. Also you need to test if there is power going to the starter small S terminal in the cranking position as there should be for the starter to engage. If not, check all your safety switches such as neutral safety and seat switches. They can be bypassed with a jumper for test purposes only od tested for continuity in the open and closed positions. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

Check for a melted seat switch and wiring since this seems to be the area of most damage.