Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

On my 1999 Case 570XLT skip loader, when operating it, the

Customer Question

On my 1999 Case 570XLT skip loader, when operating it, the motor losses power, like it is gelling up (but it is 90 degrees) or it is running out of diesel fuel. The foot pedal does nothing when pushing on it when this happens to the motor. Tractor stays running, but comes to a stop since there isn't enough power to move it. It then cleans up and starts running OK again. I can tell that the power is down overall compared to a year ago. It seems like it is running out of fuel. Then sometimes when you start it, the motor surges and the foot pedal does nothing. I have changed fuel filters 3 times now, changed the fuel in the tank, drained the tank.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I don’t normally work on these, but I can try to assist you where I can. Did you still need assistance with this? Or do you prefer to work with a tech that knows the equipment better?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sure, give it a shot.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 days ago.

Does this machine like this?

You are operating and you are flooring it, it acts like it is bogging in mud (yet you're on flat ground) and then it will rev back up with power? Almost like you have a huge air bubble pocket that went through the engine, but it does it each time the engine is under demand for more power?

I think I know what it is causing that if that is what it is doing.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It will run fine for a while, then all of the sudden, loose power like it is out of fuel or felling up (it is 80 degrees out). When it looses power, it barely will pull itself. The gas pedal does nothing. After you shut it off, it will start up and be OK again for a while. Sometimes, when you first start it, it will surge up and down. The gas pedal does nothing and then it will come out of it. Pulled the supply and return lines out of fuel tank, they care OK. There is no pickup screen in the tank from the factory. I started it and let the return line dump into a 5 gal. Pail to see if it had air, it doesnt. Can't find a check valve for the return line
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Cummins 4BT engine with external fuel shutoff at injection pump. Locate the fuel shutoff, and with it in run position, tie it so it can not move, until you release it to kill engine Then run test. If no change, the engine has t be starving for fuel and the most likely place for it to loose fule is at the line and fitting from tank to the first filter/strainer. The fitting at the filter needs to be removed ad examined for debris and this is the first stop for any debris coming out of the tank.. Or you can test by making a test line from the fuel transfer pump inlet , back into the fuel tank filler opening, and run test with the tank and lines up to the transfer pump bypassed.