catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I have a cat 318c that srart to give smoke, and now not

Customer Question

I have a cat 318c that srart to give white smoke, and now not start, any tips please
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: What can cause a cat 318c 30t6 engine to give smoke and then stop starting after? You can see white smoke qhen trying to start
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Check injectors there is some fuel coming out when you crank engine, dont know if tbats enough
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 month ago.

White smoke is often fuel smoke. However, when you have air in the system or restricted fuel supply, the injection pump cannot supply the correct pressure at the proper time and the result is white smoke and not starting.

If you have not already replaced the fuel filters, I recommend starting there first. Be sure to prime the fuel system completely and purge any air from the lines. Second, if the filters do not help, check the transfer pump inlet fitting banjo bolt. It contains a screen inside the bolt and is often missed by service personnel.

Also check you supply from the tank when the inlet fitting is removed from the transfer pump. Fuel should flow freely from the hose. If not, remove the supply line from the tank at the water separator filter and see if fuel flows freely there.

If it does not, the tank has trash in it and is blocking the fuel flow.

If you need further help with this, please include the complete machine serial number with your reply.

Regards,

CATMASTERTECH