Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.
30708357

Installing a new millitary surplus cat c7 in my 2004

Customer Question

Installing a new millitary surplus cat c7 in my 2004 Freightliner m2.for what I understand it was dynoed at the factory and has sat since 2007. How can I force oil through engine before I start it ?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: kal 10475 catipillar c7
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How should I break it in?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The only way to force oil through the engine is by using a pressurized oil/air tank. It basically connects to the oil galley on the side of the block. Then you fill the tank with engine oil. Then connect shop air to the tank.
All the ones I have seen are home made. The one we have at the shop is. I've never seen anywhere to buy one. Sorry.
Your other option is to disconnect the injector harness and spin the engine over. It does not take long at all for these engines to build oil pressure.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.