John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

2006 Kubota engine v1505. The engine wont start. The

2006 Kubota engine v1505. The engine wont start. The operator ran it out of fuel and then used ether to try to start it. This was in cold conditions but now it is inside a 50 deg shop and still wont start. The fuel filter is full and I have even resorted to trying to start it with small amounts of ether and it will not fire. I put a new battery in it as the old one discharged and froze and it cranks but cranks slowly.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
CORRECTION
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
CORRECTION: it is a Kubota v2003-M-DI-T engine.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** you still need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a diesel mechanic and fancy myself a fairly bright person, but this is kicking my butt! I cant get the thing to start. I have never not been able to get a mechanical diesel engine not to start.

it sounds to me like you are air locked. anytime you run the fuel system dry you need to bleed out the air because the injection pump can not compress air at the same rate as fuel. loosen the fuel lines at the top of the injector and crank over until fuel starts to spit

sorry, if that was to dumbed down, never can tell the level of experience on the other end of the response

kubota engines dont like any air at all, there fuel systems are very sensitive to that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thats awesome. That is not something I was even thinking of. I have had to do that to old DT466 engines and Big Cummins but for some reason I didnt think of that for these little babies. I will let you know! Thanks

yup same procedure!

Get her going?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, I just found that the pos cable and the neg on the starter were super loose. Now the starter wont turn. Im gonna get another one and see if its it.

ok. just let me know if you need me

good Monday morning. how did you make out on this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am still trying to fight the starter. I had to remove the muffler off of the machine to access the starter. The machine also has the front end loader in the way of the engine so one has to climb alot to do anything. I am still working on it though.

oh yes...loaders are always fun to work around

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yeah

NO reply needed. i need to respond because it looks bad on my end just hanging out there. hit me back when you have your starter issue delt with

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, The starter is operating now and i have the lines cracked. I am not getting any fuel out of them. The filter was full of fuel and I pumped it up for a long time. I also tried pressurizing the tank to try to get the fuel to flow. NO dice.

is your electric shut off solenoid working properly?

keeping it simple...... if you have low pressure fuel making it to the inlet of the injection pump, and your shut off is ON....... something inside the pump is playing games with you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, the shutoff was working. I powered it and it it pulled back. This all started because they ran out of fuel, filled it with 10 gal, couldn't get it to start, so they ethered it. that is where we are sitting right now.

sounds like the govenour may have stuck when the fuel went dry. like i said, if you have good fuel to it and your shut off is moving, then its internal

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
fun

if i remember correctly, the pump shaft on that machine is keyed to the gear so you dont need to worry about timing as much

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oh ok. well, i am going to run the engine out of a bucket of clean fuel to make sure we dont have any restrictions or issue wth the fuel system. After that I will let you know.

dont those have a pump in between?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
some of ours do but this one doesnt

might not hurt to put a little pressure behind that fuel (no more than 10psi) and tap on the pump with a dead blow hammer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok i took off the line going to the injection pump and it was dry. I am thinking the primer is bad. Now, tell me this, I have rigged up a funnel with fuel in it that goes directly down into the inlet of the inj pump. Shouldn' t that work to prime the pump and make it run?

you will still need to work the air out threw the injectors and that may take some time. make sure you have some head pressure on that fuel. normally the fuel tank is higher than the injection pump if there is no in line lift pump

you get this gem running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I typed up a response his morning but it didn't go through. Ok we got it running. We ended up pulling the inlet line off of the pump and dumping the fuel into it via a funnel. It took over 1.5 gal of fuel before the lines started to weep fuel. We then tightened up the lines and she ran like a beast. It was the most difficult re prime on a diesel I've ever encountered. It was ridiculous. We also had two airings issues that were not allowing the fuel cutoff solenoid to function. So all in all it was terrible! Lol. Anyway thanks Jd for your help. It was invaluable.

wow! sounds like you had plenty pushing against you on this one. cool that you got her lit. thanks for the rating and please dont hessitate to write in for more help

good job guys