Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Have a 442 excavator with a 10-81 and a 10-82 code, alarm

Customer Question

Have a 442 excavator with a 10-81 and a 10-82 code , alarm comes on and stays on
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, It's Dan. I will be glad to try to help. What is the complete model and the serial number of your machine from the ID tag?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Model 442 A
Serial ###-##-####
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Can you double check those codes? My list does not show either of those.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok let me check with the operator , it might be 10-18 and 10-17 the alarm is on and the hydraulics are sluggish , I will confirm codes
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update. Start by checking inside the hydraulic filter for fine metal/debris indicating a pump or component failure occurring. Also have your pressures checked and verified to OEM specs. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I have a complete service book in PDF if interested Ill send over the link for file sharing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dan the operator says it 10-81 and 10-82
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay. Those are not in the fault code list nor the service book . some codes are programmed into the Bobcat diagnostic software/ laptop

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Lets check for metal since you are having weak hydraulics

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He said they will come on 15 seconds after start up and then the alarm which stays on until you cycle the key and so on , he said sometimes the hydraulics work fine while alarm is on and other times it's sluggish
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check for metal
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes.... Lets see if we have a pump failure occurring. If so do not run it with the bad pump as the more its run the more contamination gets pushed through the system that can cause further damage to other components. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dan just hang in there with me , my work truck gave out on me again , so I'm having to work on that first and then I can go check out the hydraulic system on the 442
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not made it out there yet , working on my crappy 6.0 power stroke , will be out there Monday to check the pump
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

thanks for the follow up. Let me know