Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

We got a cat 924 G and the gear selector on the left of the

Customer Question

hey we got a cat 924 G and the gear selector on the left of the steering console will only engage in reverse. when you put it in forward it will not engage the driveshaft
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 924 G - 9w501039
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was about to test the park brake following Cat SIS procedure, it says to put it in forward in 3rd gear and thats when i noticed forward wouldnt engage, reverse does. As far as repairs I havenet attempted anything i just came to look into it
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
any luck??
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I will be glad to help if you still need assistance.

The first item I look for is to see if the hydraulic controls are equipped with the remote transmission control. If so, you should begin testing it and the harnesses.

Do you have CAT ET? Have you retrieved the fault codes?

Do you have the SIS procedure to view codes through the display?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only have the SIS interface on a laptop,I use it only for teardown and rebuild procedures, i would have to look up code retrieval but i dont feel i have the right hardware to plug into the loader. i was wondering if there is an electronically controlled valve that operates the transmission? Would I be looking for something as simple as an unpluggged connector ? How would you go about disabling one direction? I will have to look for that remote transmission control tomorrow and test it, I'm no longer at the machine

Does your version of SIS have the troubleshooting guides?

Look for a second switch on the loader control levers or next to it. It will be marked F-N-R and is used to select forward or reverse with your right hand while leaving your left hand on the steering wheel.

If the switch is not centered in the N (neutral) position, the shift will only work in the direction the switch is pressed (or failed).

The Troubleshooting section should have a section on Retrieving codes through the monitor, No tooling is needed if you can get the Key On Key Off sequence correct. It is very hard to do and must be timed with the self-test of the monitor.

If you can get it to scroll the codes, this will point you to the trouble quickly.

The transmission may have an ECM controller or it may have the shifter only. If you have Autoshift, you likely have an ECM controller.

I just found this machine should have the indicator under the cab for testing. Use this guide to access flash codes at the RED led lamp.

Troubleshooting
IT28G and IT38G Integrated Toolcarriers and 924G, 924GZ, 928G and 938G Wheel Loaders Power Train Electronic Control System

Media Number -SENR1218-05Publication Date -01/10/2001Date Updated -25/10/2001

Using the Diagnostic Indicator to Determine Diagnostic Codes

Table 1

Activation Of Diagnostic Indicator Operations
Quick Reference

Operation Contact 1 (1) Contact 3 (1) Contact 5 (1)

Scroll ACTIVE
Diagnostic Codes Ground (2) Open Open

Scroll
INACTIVE
Diagnostic Codes Open Open Ground (2)

Clear (3)
Diagnostic Codes Open Ground Open

( 1 )These contacts are located in the harness code connector. Remove the harness code plug.

( 2 )Remove the connection to ground in order to place the desired information that is shown during scrolling on hold.

( 3 )A diagnostic code is cleared only while the code is on hold. A diagnostic code that is active cannot be cleared.

Use the following procedure when a diagnostic code is detected. When a diagnostic code is detected, the diagnostic indicator is ON. After you determine the diagnostic code, use the Troubleshooting, "Diagnostic Code List" in order to find the numbers (CID and FMI). The numbers correspond to the diagnostic code that is flashed on the diagnostic indicator of the ECM. In order to troubleshoot the service codes, see the following procedures.

1. Remove the machine identification plug in order to place the ECM in service mode.

1. A single diagnostic code is shown. A single diagnostic code is on hold at this time. The diagnostic code is shown on the diagnostic indicator by flashing the indicator ON and OFF. The flashing represents a code number that is two digits. A series of flashes represent the first digit. A one second pause follows. A series of flashes then represents the second digit. Count the number of flashes in order to determine each digit. A pause of about three seconds separates each two digit code. Use the Troubleshooting, "Diagnostic Code List" in order to find the numbers (CID and FMI).

1. Scroll through the diagnostic codes in order to show the ACTIVE diagnostic codes. Ground contact 1 of the harness code connector in order to scroll through the codes. Scroll through the diagnostic codes in order to show the INACTIVE diagnostic codes. Ground contact 5 of the harness code connector in order to scroll through the codes.

1. In order to place the desired diagnostic code on hold, remove ground from contact 1 or contact 5 of the harness code connector when the desired diagnostic code is shown.

1. In order to troubleshoot the diagnostic code, see the procedures that follow. Perform the procedure that corresponds to the service codes (CID and FMI).

1. After a diagnostic code is corrected, the diagnostic code should be cleared. In order to clear the code, scroll through the INACTIVE diagnostic codes. Ground contact 5 of the harness code connector in order to scroll through the codes.

1. Place the desired diagnostic code on hold. Remove ground from contact 5 of the harness code connector when the desired diagnostic code is shown.

1. While the diagnostic code is on hold, momentarily ground contact 3 of the harness code connector. After the diagnostic code is cleared, the diagnostic indicator is turned OFF. The diagnostic code indicator remains in the OFF position until contact 1 is grounded again or until contact 5 is grounded again.

1. Repeat the Steps above for any remaining diagnostic code. A diagnostic code of "11" indicates that no diagnostic codes are ACTIVE. A diagnostic code of "12" indicates that diagnostic codes are INACTIVE. When the procedure is finished, return to the normal mode by replacing the machine identification plug.