catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

110 excavator that has fuel issues, It will start and idol

Customer Question

110 B excavator that has fuel issues, It will start and idol find but when I start working it an put a load on the machine after about 3 to 5 minutes it starts acting like its starving for fuel, we cleaned out the fuel tank and blown out all of the fuel lines thinking that maybe there was a clogged line somewhere but this hasn't helped. after it starts running like it's starving for fuel I can remove the top vent cap on the fuel filter and the filter has a vacuum on it and is low on fuel. I can fill the filter back up and it runs great for about 3 to 5 minutes and starts the same thing again
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: i have a 110 B excavator that has fuel issues, It will start and idol find but when I start working it an put a load on the machine after about 3 to 5 minutes it starts acting like its starving for fuel, we cleaned out the fuel tank and blown out all of the fuel lines thinking that maybe there was a clogged line somewhere but this hasn't helped. after it starts running like it's starving for fuel I can remove the top vent cap on the fuel filter and the filter has a vacuum on it and is low on fuel. I can fill the filter back up and it runs great for about 3 to 5 minutes and starts the same thing again
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time sweetie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 month ago.

I would suggest you check the suction screen at the transfer pump. This is the small pump attached to the side of the injection pump. It has two lines connected to it. One is the supply or pressure line to the filter and the other is the suction line from the water separator. The "banjo" fitting is held in place with a special bolt and sealing washers. Remove this bolt and you will find a small screen inside the bolt.

This is where your fuel is being restricted. The screen is threaded and can be removed with a small screwdriver.

Clean this screen and install it back into the bolt. Do not leave it out.

The only other issue you may have is the water separator could be sucking air. If the engine still loses power after cleaning the screen, use a small pipe to temporarily bypass the water separator to see if the condition clears.

NOTE: Any debris you find in the lines or screen is representative of the debris that is in the tank. If you find this issue returns, remove the tank for cleaning.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thanks,

catmastertech