John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

Deere 310d will move in reverse, but not in forward. Some

Customer Question

John Deere 310d will move in reverse, but not in forward. Some small pad shavings & oil has slight burn smell and is dirty. Solonoids click in both directions. Screen is dirty. I am going to clean it & put in fresh oil. Any other suggestions?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: JD 310D T0310DA812198
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 2 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** suction screen that was dirty, did that have brass looking particles in it as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No brass, kind of looks like cat litter. Also a small piece of rubber like material

cat litter??? got me stumped an that one. the rubber could be from any piston packing in a clutch pack, rubber from a filter etc

my initial thought was brake failure. when the brake pads wear down they make an aweful mess and clog the strainer.

on this machine you have a reverse and forward clutch drum which use the same fiber material in the clutch plates as the brakes. my suggestion would be to fill with fresh oil and filters. retry forward and see if it behaves. if the machine is operable then its most likely rear brakes

if your still sluggish in forward you most likely have a forward clutch assembly failure

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet?Origin=JDParts

JD parts breakdown of the forward clutch drum on that machine

just to be sure you may want to have a pressure test done on the forward pack to verify that is the issue

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, will clean screen & fill with oil. I'll let you know what happens thanks

were you able to get this thing moving?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cleaning the screen and changing the oil didn't help. I talked to my local John Deere mechanic that worked on it a couple years ago. He reminded me that the wiring on the forward and reverse coils are really bad and the coils he thought needed to be replaced. I I found some aftermarket for half the price of John Deere and ordered them. They should be in in a few days. After I install them and try it I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

sounds like a plan. let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Changed oil & filter. Forward and reverse coils. Reverse still good, just can't get it to move forward. It tries to turn the drive shaft to the rear end, and it will turn a few seconds and stop.

with all the debris you described being in the oil i would strongly recommend having pressure tests done on the elements before you throw any more good money at it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll do that. Let you know

good deal