catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

Cat 277 SN: CNC00521 Need to activate the continuous flow

Customer Question

Cat 277 SN: CNC00521 Need to activate the continuous flow hyd function. Cat sent me a left hand joystick with the two extra buttons. I added the missing relays for tool1 and tool 2 along with any missing fuses and have checked all other fuses. The joystick they sent had two buttons at top and the bottom button for horn. is this the correct joystick and based on the above SN does this machine ecm support continuous flow. I have tried holding the flow botton on right hand and holding one of the other buttons on the other side in many different combinations and nothing locks it in. i have found instructions on how to lock them in and diag procedures but they are all listed as CNC1 and up SN. thanks in advance for help. IF possible need to know tonight
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 3 months ago.

Left me check the serial number. Do you have the part number they sent you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It appears the original joystick should be a two button switch. Did you ask for this joystick? Does your machine have the auxiliary ECM under the floor plate?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was bought from a rental company. I figured they swapped it out so that someone that rented it didnt lock it and burn up the hyd. i can pull floor plate and check. under seat correct or under where you put your feet.

Sorry, I see you are replacing the left joystick. I don't think that switch controls continuous flow on these first gen models.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok so is there anyway to make the CNC1 and down SN have continuous flow. Running a shredder and it is a pain to hold the button for hours on end
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im not against a toggle switch but would rather make it look factory and go through the ecm for safety reasons

Machines that are equipped with Continuous Flow and Interlock Override will support both functions on one switch. Your machine may be equipped with a switch that only supports the Interlock Override function.

Continuous Flow (If Equipped) - The continuous flow control supplies continuous flow of hydraulic fluid to the auxiliary hydraulic circuit without continuously holding the auxiliary hydraulic control. Press on either side of the auxiliary hydraulic control. Press on the bottom of the continuous flow switch and release the continuous flow switch. Immediately release the auxiliary hydraulic control after you release the continuous flow switch. The continuous flow function will not be activated if the operator does not release the auxiliary hydraulic control within one second of releasing the continuous flow switch. Press on either the auxiliary hydraulic control or the continuous flow switch in order to stop the flow to the auxiliary circuit.

Interlock Override (If Equipped) - The interlock override function allows the auxiliary hydraulic circuits to function with the armrest in the RAISED position. First activate the continuous flow function. If the machine is equipped with a single function switch then press the bottom of the switch in order to activate the interlock override. If the machine is equipped with a dual function switch then press the top of the switch in order to activate the interlock override function. In order to turn off the interlock override function and continuous flow function, press either side of the auxiliary hydraulic switch or Interlock Override switch.
NOTICE
Do not leave the machine unattended while you have the interlock override function activated.

It should be the rear switch in the upper left console.

See location 27 in image below.

If my book is correct, your machine has the auxiliary ECM wiring and the ECM should be under the floor plate.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok ill try that again maybe i didnt hold it long enough. 1 min...................

The trick is the release, not the holding time.

The continuous flow function will not be activated if the operator does not release the auxiliary hydraulic control within one second of releasing the continuous flow switch.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tried it a bunch of times unless the light is burned out the switch is not lit. maybe i have lost power to it. is there a fuse for switch or a switch electrical diagram

Schematic of the switch circuit for the continuous flow and interlock override

The schematic is associated with the following machines:

216 (4NZ2500-UP)

226 (5FZ5200-UP)

228 (6BZ700-UP)

236 (4YZ4000-UP)

246 (5SZ4000-UP)

248 (6LZ1000-UP)

252 (FDG1-UP)

262 (CED1-UP)

267 (CMP1-UP)

277 (CNC1-UP)

287 (CNY1-UP)

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION

Enable the machine.
Push down on either the A1 switch or the A2 switch.
Push the continuous flow switch and then release the continuous flow switch.
Immediately release the auxiliary hydraulic switch.
Note: If the auxiliary hydraulic switch is not released within one second of releasing the continuous flow switch, the continuous flow function will not be activated.

Expected Result:

The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) should be active.

Results:

OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) are active.
Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

NOT OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) are not active. Proceed to Test Step 2.
Test Step 2. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE SWITCH

Press the continuous flow switch.
Observe the status on the Caterpillar ET.
Release the switch.
Expected Result:

The switch status should have changed from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status.

Results:

OK - The status of the switch changed from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status.
Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen match the machine's options. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen are installed correctly. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the test steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

NOT OK - The switch status did not change from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status. Proceed to Test Step 3.
Test Step 3. CHECK THE CONTINUITY OF THE SWITCH

Remove the switch from the headliner.
Unplug the switch from the wire harness.
Press the switch.
Measure the resistance from terminal 2 to terminal 3 for machines that are associated with Illustration 1. Check from terminal 2 to terminal 1 for machines that are associated with Illustration 2.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be less than 5 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is less than 5 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 4.
NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 Ohms.
Repair: The switch has failed. Replace the switch.

Stop.

Test Step 4. CHECK THE SWITCH CIRCUIT

Reinstall the switch.
Remove the floorplate in order to get to the ECM.
Remove the wire harness from the ECM.
Press the switch.
Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 7 of the wiring harness connector.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistance is less than 5 Ohms.

Stop.

Repair: The circuit is open in the wire harness and/or the connector. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
switch is working correctly on both directions has continuity from 1-2 and 2-3 depending on direction. has continuity to ground on 2. have power on 1 and 3 so i would assume the wiring is ok from ecm to switch.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i know this is getting kinda drawn out but with the switch working correctly im kinda at a loss of why it wont stay engaged. I checked it with key on. when the switch is depressed wire 1 or 3 loose power depending on direction, like they should
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also the above diag says its for 277 (CNC1-UP) is it the same for the 277 CNC1 and below

CNC1-up means CNC00001 and later.

Ok, switch is good, did you check the wires all the way back to the ECM? Never assume wiring is good, that is the largest part of repairs I do these days.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no but i will. I know i shouldn't assume that but i just figured if it had power all the way to switch then it cant be shorted to ground and cant be broken.

Broken or poor connections are the most common issue. I usually find damage are the bend in the harness where the cab pivot bushings are. Either the wires get pinched or something gets into the harness and rubs thru the wires. Sometimes the seal connectors allow moisture into the terminals and corrosion becomes a problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i will check it. not trying to be difficult. I diag wiring everyday on diesel pickups and have a good understanding of electrial diag procedures. normally if they are rubbing/broken or have corrosion then they dont have power on the other end. will check it out and let you know. thanks for your help so far.

Ok, if you need more help, I will be back online tomorrow night.

Is this job finished?

Please remember to rate my answer or I will not get paid.