Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

1967 IH LOADER 414 GLOW PLUG WIREING IS IT POS OR NEG GROUND

Customer Question

1967 IH LOADER B 414 GLOW PLUG WIREING IS IT POS OR NEG GROUND AND HOW IS IT WIRE??? THANKS BILL
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Glow plug is wired same as battery. If battery is negative ground, the glow pugs are grounded, and it takes positive voltage to activate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CURTIS all 4 glow plug have jumper wire then go to ground at #1 glow plug # 4 12 volt hot do you have wire map for 1967 b414 you will see what I am looking at not right they have ground and hot to glow plug not right. thanks bill ???
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

glow plugs ground through the threads, positive battery voltage goes to the glow plug jumper lead on top of the glow plugs, all together. All should get 12 volts at same time. The wire at end usually is there to go to the glow plug light and complete the circuit for the indicator light. Glow plugs are not getting hot? No voltage to them?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Wiring,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis the # 1 glow plug grounded to block then jumper wires to # 2 3 4 glow plugs then # 4 has 12 volts the glow plugs have two step steel jumper to all glow plugs then insulator with nut # 4 is 12 volts. burn out # 4 glow plug dead short do you have a wire map for 1967 IH b 414 or do you no how it is to be wire. thanks bill
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I sent wire diagram link.??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis Thank you for the diagram . it look like this is a positive ground systems. it was changed to negative I think by looking at diagram. what do you think . ??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

With it being mid 70's, would think it came with negative ground system. Looking at the voltage regulator is it marked positive or negative ground? Regulator has to match the battery ground. By diagram, it is not clear, and shows 6 volt batteries or 12 volt batteries. Question was about the glow plugs, glow plugs should have no continuity from the insulated tip to the body of the glow plug. If it does, the glow plug has direct short.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CURTIS the Question is still the glow plug the wire to the glow plugs # 1 glow plug is wire to ground on block and 234 jump then # 4 is 12 volts . positive or negative ground is part of glow plug QUESTION ????
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK, I'm kind of hard headed! By looking at the glow plug wiring, the glow plug wire# ***** shows to be positive ground. The # 6 wire to the glow plug strip comes from the resistor, # 32. So by the glow plug being grounded on the positive end, battery system should be posiitve ground.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, ???