Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a 2005 Mustang 2109 Skid steer with the 110hp Perkins

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Mustang 2109 Skid steer with the 110hp Perkins turbo diesel engine and hand/foot controls, not a HiFlow machine. Machine has brand new batteries (2) 12V batteries. Machine starts and runs normal but the throttle will fluctuate slightly when I put pressure on the foot rest inside the cabin of the machine. Then, the glow plug light will illuminate and I can't increase the throttle on the engine (lever moves, but engine RPM doesn't increase). This light comes on and off, but I can't throttle up the machine at all. Now, if I shut the machine off and re-start, I can get the engine to throttle up but then about 2-3 seconds after doing this, the same glow plug light comes back on and the engine reduces to an idle and won't budge. Any ideas what might be causing this? I noticed this happening after hooking up the rear power cable to the starter so I could jump the machine from the rear jumper points (old batteries were just replaced). Never had this problem before with the machine. Sits inside when not in use and no apparent wiring issues that I can see. Thanks for any help!
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 days ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 days ago.

This is a 12 volt skidsteer with 2 batteries hooked parallel to give it more amperage for start? Do you have a voltmeter to test the unit? What is voltage reading at the remote cable connections. with problem not starting until you hooked up the rear power cables, I suspect cable is hooked up wrong.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Correct, 12V system with 2 batteries in parallel. I tested voltage at remote cable connections. Showed 12.7V off, 14V running. They are hooked up correctly. Pressing on the floor plate where your feet rest in the cab causes the engine rpm to bounce around quite a bit (revs up and down) ONLY when pressing on the floor plate. Then, the glow plug light comes on for a few seconds, then shuts off. The engine cannot idle up anymore using the Throttle lever and the RPMs stop bouncing around when you put pressure on the floor plate.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 days ago.

No wiring shorted below the floor plate, causing erratic operation

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Nope, there's no wiring down there whatsoever. I double checked today after removing the floor plate. If you put pressure on the foot control bar (not the pedals themselves, but the tube that the pedals mount to), it the idle would jump around as well
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 days ago.

Sounds like there is a ground problem! Let me opt out, and see if anyone ese will offer an answer. Sorry.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Hi Mike, My name is Dan. Take a very close look at your grounds and clean and tighten the connections. Also be sure to test the batteries with a digital tester to be sure you dont have any dead cells etc causing a voltage issue. If okay verify the alternator is not backfeeding the circuit and tests okay. I see it is charging but be sure there are not other internal problems with the alternator. there should be some relays under the seat at the foot area. Check the harness for loose connections , damage, and for poorly grounded relays or a shorted relay. What is the serial number of this machine?

Click here for the operation manual to help with fuse/relay and component location if you do not have a copy. Let me know if this is not the serial number break you have.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have a copy of the op manual for my machine (I can get the machine serial #). There's a fuse bank located up by the right side armrest of the operator's seat, that's it. There's a power "board" underneath the seat with power coming into this from the batteries. The battery cable grounds are clean and batteries are brand new, no issues there, no dead cells etc after testing. I have not tested the alternator yet though, I'll see if that's causing a problem at all. What should I look for there?