Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a friend who recently acquire an old HD7. The right

Customer Question

I have a friend who recently acquire an old HD7. The right steering clutch does not release when the steering lever is pulled back;;; hard.
There seems to be no power boost for either steering lever. How do I fix this?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Dick, My name is***** the clutches and drive stay engaged on that side then confirm your linkage is in adjustment or you could have a faulty release piston. Let me know the serial number so I can pull up the correct information for this machine to be sure we are on the same page.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the reply Dan. I don't know how to check on the linkage adjustment; i.e. where to do any adjustment change and how to tell if inis in adjustment or not. Pretty dumb; Huh! I consider myself to be a fair mechanic (Model T Ford stuff mostly lately)
The owner (my friend) is currently on travel and I don't know where on the machine the serial number is.???? ..or if he knows what it is; somehow. I'll get back to you on this.
He recently bought the HD7....It had not been use for many, many years I think. Could this be contributing to the problem? This is the first time that I have used this service (for many years, at least) but I assume that I will somehow be able to reach you when I have more info. Dick
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the update. You should be able to access this thread through the E mail you signed on with as the site will flag your e mail with responses. The serial number will be helpful to research the correct information but in the meantime I will provide a link for an HD6 that I have readily available to help with some theory and operation of the brakes and clutches. They should be very close.... I will have to dig through the archives for the HD7 info and will do it once I know the serial number as my current list seems to skip over the HD7 but has 4 , 6, etc

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello: Got the email this morning urging me to rate your service. The service is still incomplete. So far I have been advised to check the linkage, which I have been unable to do..in fact don't know how....and that you are trying to get me access to a manual... which I have not received yet. Would the manual include instructions for all this?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi for some reason my inbox was no flagged by your response. Click on the blue letters that say manual to get the download link. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan; I can not rate the service very highly. Unless I missed something, what I got was "check the linkage"and a suggestion to look at an HD6 manual via a link. I would like to terminate this discussion and make some sort of restitution for the work that you have done, which is not nearly as helpful I had hoped.