Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a friend who recently acquire an old HD7. The right

Customer Question

I have a friend who recently acquire an old HD7. The right steering clutch does not release when the steering lever is pulled back;;; hard.
There seems to be no power boost for either steering lever. How do I fix this?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 9 days ago.

Hi Dick, My name is***** the clutches and drive stay engaged on that side then confirm your linkage is in adjustment or you could have a faulty release piston. Let me know the serial number so I can pull up the correct information for this machine to be sure we are on the same page.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the reply Dan. I don't know how to check on the linkage adjustment; i.e. where to do any adjustment change and how to tell if inis in adjustment or not. Pretty dumb; Huh! I consider myself to be a fair mechanic (Model T Ford stuff mostly lately)
The owner (my friend) is currently on travel and I don't know where on the machine the serial number is.???? ..or if he knows what it is; somehow. I'll get back to you on this.
He recently bought the HD7....It had not been use for many, many years I think. Could this be contributing to the problem? This is the first time that I have used this service (for many years, at least) but I assume that I will somehow be able to reach you when I have more info. Dick
Expert:  Dan replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for the update. You should be able to access this thread through the E mail you signed on with as the site will flag your e mail with responses. The serial number will be helpful to research the correct information but in the meantime I will provide a link for an HD6 that I have readily available to help with some theory and operation of the brakes and clutches. They should be very close.... I will have to dig through the archives for the HD7 info and will do it once I know the serial number as my current list seems to skip over the HD7 but has 4 , 6, etc

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello: Got the email this morning urging me to rate your service. The service is still incomplete. So far I have been advised to check the linkage, which I have been unable to fact don't know how....and that you are trying to get me access to a manual... which I have not received yet. Would the manual include instructions for all this?