catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

We have a D4G 2005 that has no high ground speed,

we have a D4G 2005 that has no high ground speed
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: cat00d4gchy00387
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: model3046
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: fuses r ok

Do you have any fault lights on?

Does the speed indicator move when you press the buttons?

Is the red light next to the fuse on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im a Mec for a rental company Have a 2 year tec degree and 36 years in.It was'nt but I checked the fuses with an ohm meter and did not turn the key on I will Wensday night. Can I trip the codes and how???

Standby by and I will send you the procedure to view fault codes.

See the attached file.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dont want to call yet. I worked there for 6 year but I now have a full time job in R&D they lost the mec that took my place so the asked me to work part time for them so saturday is the only day I have time to talk with u on a phone. I will take this info and check tomorrow night.

I will be back online tomorrow night. That is the best time to chat. I don't do phone calls anyway. I have asked that to not appear in my replies but, it is just an auto trigger button to get you locked in.

I will look for your reply tomorrow,

Thanks, catmastertech

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey is that connected in the fuse area?

The code plug and the diagnostic lamp is in the fuse panel area.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I got 26. 226?? But your chart doesn't give me that?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
26 and 226

Can you verify the serial number?

Could this be a grey market machine? (imported, not built for US)

You may need to check the codes again. I would expect to see codes 261 or 262.

Operate the machine to cause the issue to become active and do not turn of the key. Check codes and you should see all that are logged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would say it's 262
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.6.2.2.6.2
26 226 2 or 262

Great, I would believe that is correct. It relates to code 1702 and I have attached the troubleshooting guide below.

I believe your issue is a broken wire or a bad handle. Follow this procedure and it should help you find the exact problem.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I re hook the joy stick and cleared the codes I ? Started and without grounding it flashed 1262???

All flash codes are three digits only. The lamp will indicate an active fault when you remove the code plug, this is normal. You must ground the contacts to trigger scrolling mode to see other codes. Clearing fault codes will not fix any problem with this machine you have only removed the history of other codes that may have been helpful to determine other related problems to inspect during repairs.

Follow the guide I sent you and post the results of each step so I can understand what you have found. Then we can determine the best course to correct this issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok now that I got rid of the false code I may have set by running with the joy stick unplugged I now have a 252 code.

I have had this issue too. I found corrosion on the connector and broken wires on the service brake pedal sensor.

Below is the troubleshooting guide for the signal wire of the brake pedal position sensor. This is located behind the kick plate for the pedal group.

If it is not a connector or corrosion problem, let me know and I will send you the other guides.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey I m not sure my fluk 117 cam ch he?

Use volts and press yellow button for Hz. If readings are not close, switch to amps and press yellow button for Hz.

This reading is to test the sensor, I suspect your issue is connector pins or wires, not the sensor. If all other test passes, then the sensor is likely the cause. At that point, knowing the sensor works correctly or not is just a minor detail as replacing it would be the next step anyway.

It is nice to know before purchasing a $150 part.