JACUSTOMER-e6z2noam-
JACUSTOMER-e6z2noam-,
96216703

Was looking at fuse block for this unti unit, Its okay,..

Customer Question

Was looking at fuse block for this unti unit
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Its okay,..
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just trying to figure out why it is draining the battery,.. not willing to pay 30-40 for troubleshooting
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just someone that knows about electrical, if it does not work then I get a refund, right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Probably with battery being drained.
Have removed alt wires and still shows 12v across battery terminal and cable while disconnected.
Have removed all fuses and still shows 12 volts across same battery and cable so something is drawing the battery down after a few days of being left connected. Trying to figure out what is draining battery.
Serial number is ***** and model is 257B and is a 2006.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-e6z2noam- replied 1 month ago.

HI, my name is Doug,

I see you have done a lot of digging on this one !

Make sure you load test all battery fully charged and do them separately. One week battery will drain all down.

Not sure of the manufacturer of you truck to understand your wire schematic but I have seen the starter drain the battery's. Since the battery cables start at battery and go to starter then split off to cab and other things. I would remove cables off batterys, then take the cables off starter and then put cables back on batterys. Make sure you have starter cables taped off or covered so batterys don't blowup in your faced. Check for voltage draw and start installing small and large cables one at a time on starter to find were something is drawing voltage. From there you should be able to trace it down.

I hope this helps you out and please rate my service to you for tonight,

Doug.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We pulled all fuses and still had some voltage across the battery and Cables.
We connected battery to cable and checked the voltage to see if it's still draining the battery down. It was 12.24 volts and will check again in morning.
We did see that the one fuse that was showing 12 volts was the digital Hobbs meter. So we think it was it drawing hardly any amps but was showing voltage which made us think it was the culprit. If the battery is being drained still we will look into your idea of the starter wires being potential issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure what I would be rating you on tonight as I have not looked into your suggestion. It's too late to try it tonight.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our voltage was down to 7 volts this morning.
I had changed the starter about a month ago so it was doing this before and after the exchange of starter. I see what your talking about on how the power wire goes directly to the started and then, I'm assuming, to the fuse bus.
So we are not able to figure out where the drain is at this point.

Some of the trucks have refrigerators in the sleeper. Some are 120 volts AC and some are 12 volts DC. The 12 volt style will run all the time unless they are turned off somewhere. The Volvo has a battery protection device that starts cutting out 12 volt products when the battery drops below 11.5 volts. May I ask what brand you have? Also how many batterys do you have stacked up at battery box so as I can have a better idea as to what amperage we are dealing with? Is the transmission stick or automatic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I see now what may be the issue.
I have a Caterpillar "Skid Steer" 257B that I am trying to fix. I think you think that all this time it was some 18 wheeler or something. Google Caterpillar 257B to see what it looks like.

I'm looking for a wiring schematic for that skid steer.

I'm sorry but I can't fine the correct wire schematic. I think there is a diode that has burned out and allowing current to flow backwards. Could be in wire harness or in a switch. I'm not familiar with this model. I will have to OPT OUT. I will contact my manager and have them contact a Tech with experience in a Caterpillar skid steer 257 B model.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. Thanks for trying.
We've almost got to the point where we might just put a inline wire cutoff to be able to easily shut it off so it does not drain.

OK, sorry I couldn't help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Doug
I know your intent to help was there but you were advising me on a 18 wheeler where I had a skid steer.
Maybe there is some advice that would cross over since it's electrical but nothing suggested helped. Again I'm sure the advice might help on another type of vehicle but it didn't help in this Case.
I've used this service a couple times in the past but can't remember how it works. I lay wkther way or how does it work. I though it said something at the beginning about being satisfied. Again, you were very cordial and quick to offer ideas but do I have to pay for this if it didn't help? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk but I don't know how to ask about it in any other way and typed words may not share my concern about what I should rate. I'll ask the site tomorrow to see what to do.

I sent a notice to the manager about this question being in the wrong category. I thought it was a class truck, semi truck, but it is not. The manager should contact you about this problem.

Once again sorry for the confusion.

Doug