catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

We are having trouble replacing tracks on a 287b. Two sets

Customer Question

We are having trouble replacing tracks on a 287b. Two sets of tracks and both are too tight once the squirrel cage is placed back into position. Any insight?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 months ago.

Below is a file to show you how CAT recommends the tracks be installed. They have created a special tool to help place the track in position.

Please let me know if you need further help. I have only done one of these smaller machines. The larger ones you can remove an outer wheel to help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have the access to data on the measurement between the front and rear idler pulleys (c to c)? The problem we are running into is the tracks can go on but they are excessively tight. This is even with all of the adjustment loosened. We have tried two sets of tracks that are speced for the machine with no luck.

Sorry, I could not find and specs' for roller spacing.

I did find a letter for extra adjustment. See the bottom of the attached file.

You may be able to remove the bolts for each end roller and maybe that will get you the extra space you need. (It depends if your machine has this modification.)