Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Just bought a 2006 Kubota kx 121-3 ss. Ordered a hydraulic

Customer Question

Just bought a 2006 Kubota kx 121-3 ss. Ordered a hydraulic thumb and had it put on but I can't get it to work at all. machine only has 600 hours and I don't think it ever had a thumb installed on it. I loosened the lines going to the thumb and it seems like no fluid is getting to it in either direction. I can move thumb up and down by hand. Can anyone help me with this issue?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Hi Terry, My name is***** do you have the thumb hooked up currently? What is your machine serial number?

Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Here is what I pulled up for this model for Thumb operation.

To operate the thumb on this machine you have to press the middle button on the display panel to activate the service port. Then use the rocker switch on your hand control to move thumb open and closed. If it doesnt work, be sure the light is on next to the activation button. There are a few flow settings that you can enter if you keep pressing the button, so be sure you only press it once, the light comes on, and the light is not flashing. Be sure the quarter turn valve located next to or on top of the hydraulic tank is in the 2 way position, not the one way position. If it is in the one way position the thumb will only operate in one direction. That is used if the excavator is used with a hydraulic breaker. The button does not normally click but it will beep and the light should light up red.

Let me know

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have tried that, red light on and nothing happens. I'll have to get you the serial number
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have searched all over the machine and have not found a valve of any kind yet
Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Thanks for the update. Click on this link to access the online parts catalog to help in locating your parts and identifying.