Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

My 955 L is stuck in Neutral. what could be the main

Customer Question

hi there, my 955 L is stuck in Neutral . what could be the main problem , linkage ?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I dont have the serial nr , It is a 955 L
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will strip the box on left hand side over the weekend , it is a machine I have bought on auction Yesterday . It have not been in operation for last couple of years . Engine turns on a dime and hydraulics seems fine .
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. I was field service for cat in the past. The first thing you need to do with this machine is drain the fluids and check the filters and suction screen for metal/debris that would indicate an internal failure. If the linkage is not worn, broken, or frozen and binding then you will be looking for signs of fine metal/debris indicating an internal failure. Let me know

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is it possible to send me a schematic of Linkage connection
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
as well as indication where all filters is located..Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

That would be dependent on the serial number of the machine. There are some manuals available used on e bay and amazon for these machines but you will want to be sure to buy the correct one for your serial number as there are differences between the serial number breaks.

Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

The first 3 digits are most important. most auction sites will post that if an online auction.