Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Earl here I have a 1989 jcb 4x4 extend a backhoe and my

Customer Question

Hi Earl here I have a 1989 jcb 4x4 extend a hoe backhoe and my problem is it will bearly move when shifted into gear or move up a small incline especially after it gets warm and I have already change the fluid (red trans fluid ) for the shuttle shift
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: damm i dont have that with me
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it also doesnt start well and some times the pos batt cable gets hot towards the batt end
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** will be glad to try to help. Please post the complete model and serial number of your machine. If the oil was dark, burnt smell, and there was metal/debris in the filter or drain oil it indicates the need for rebuild/repair of an internal failure of the reverser. Having the pressures tested will confirm a failed Reverser, excessive internal leakage or valve problem, etc. For the slow cranking have the battery tested and the starter tested to see if it is drawing too many amps. Clean and inspect the battery cables and all grounds. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks dan part of my problem is it's in the middle of the woods in northern michigan getting tested could be a problem . is the reverser the solinoids for the shittle shift ? I am not sure what you mean by reverser ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I am referring to the transmission as the reverser.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes, Verify the solenoids to the shuttle are getting powered and functioning properly and also see if they are all in range with one another with a resistance test with an OHM meter.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi dan I may have more questions the tips about the solenoids is good but i have no idea what the specs are saposed to be and the manual does not tell me