Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I need to replace stripped studs (wheel lugs) on my Cat 416C

Customer Question

I need to replace stripped studs (wheel lugs) on my Cat 416C backhoe. Doesn't seem to be sufficient clearance to know them back. Is there a certain position that each must be rotated to the individual lug can be removed? Any help appreciated.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Cat 416c 5YN5596
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This problem is on front Right tire.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Is yours 4WD or 2WD front axle? Sometimes you can position them to the right clock position to drive them out and they have enough room. Otherwise, you will have to remove the axle from the hub to change the studs. Raise the wheels off the ground with the bucket and outriggers to aide in turning to the right clock position with the most clearance. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Machine is 4x4. By right clock position, do you mean to turn the steering to it's full right position.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I mean position of the hub the studs are in. The old ones need to be driven out and the new ones installed from the back side. You can use a larger nut and washer, then a wheel nut to tighten to draw the stud in flush. Click this link for aftermarket studs that are available for FYI

Studs

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?