Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

My bobcat Versahandlers is hesitating when driving. Do I

Customer Question

My bobcat Versahandlers is hesitating when driving. Do I need to purge in order to run smoothly?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Versahandlers 518v
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes filled resiviour
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will purging the hydraulic pump fix the problem. i had to run with oil very low due to leak
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** is your serial number?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This Machine has a hydrostatic drive system. If you are experiencing a hesitation then it is possible there is a problem with the hydrostatic pump/motor control valves or the pumps/motors themselves. Check inside the hydraulic filter and oil for signs of fine metal/debris that would indicate an internal failure. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just shipped bobcat to another job.
Hydraulic oil ran very low before I noticed leak. (None in view glass)
Fixed leak. Filled hyd oil.
Now the problem started.
Ran great before hose broke
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

A hydrostatic drive will fail quickly without oil. The machined tolerances are very close and spinning at engine RPM without oil will cause friction and things to heat up quickly. Check to see if the pumps and drive have started to produce metal indicating a failure starting by checking a sample inside the filter.. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would an air pocket in the hydraulic pump cause this and if so, how do I purge pump?
Or... Too late?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

the pumps should have a constant supply of oil direct from the tank. If this surging stays present after the machine has run for a while then it points to an actual problem with either the pump controls or the pump itself. Check for metal in the filter that would flag a failure occurring. If found do not run the machine until fix or it will contaminate the entire system and cause more damage.

Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
not really
machine started to run great for a few days but then started acting up again.
took to bobcat repair shop