Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

246C cat skid steer travel speed gets slow and has no power

Customer Question

246C cat skid steer travel speed gets slow and has no power at idle does better at full throttle but still weak
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi Scott, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Is it just travel that is slow or other functions as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just travel loader seem ok
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Remove and inspect the hydraulic filter internally for fine metal/debris that indicates a pump or component failure occurring. If found it is an indication the pumps and drive motors are in need of rebuild. To check the drive motors you will disconnect the low pressure case drain line, plug the hose and run a hose to a bucket. With the machine against a loading dock to prevent movement slowly engage travel and you should only get a low volume of case drain oil. If under high volume or pressure that drive motor is bad.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Does the two speed work ?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Click on this link for some troubleshooting information I put together for you as well. Start by checking for signs of fine metal in the filters. It will look like metallic glitter in the oil. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It going to be tomorrow before o get back to skid steer will get back with u then.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good. Pleasure to help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Back on unit today.
Also have found when using travel controler in mode 1 or 2 and power is lost if u move control just a little bit power comes back and drive moters start working again but will not hold power
Expert:  Dan replied 30 days ago.

Thanks for the update. What were the results of testing for excessive case drain of the drive motors?

Expert:  Dan replied 25 days ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?