Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 1998 grove amz68xt telescopic man lift that

Customer Question

I have a 1998 grove amz68xt telescopic man lift that sometimes the engine will rev up but the boom won't telescope out or in but will work from the ground controls just have the problem in the basket control what could cause this
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Amz68xt 43004. 1998 model year
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Operator presence control is sometimes fussy and you have to thump the control box to get it to light up
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. If it is only that function in the basket then the problem is likely in the wiring or control switches for that function. Check all wiring and connector pins for damage as well as the switches and relays. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a new control switch I am goin to try have seen no discernible damage to wiring or plug pins as for the relay I do not have a schematic to figure out which one or more control that function . There are awhile lot of them in the basket panel as well as the ground control panel can you send pictures of which ones to replace. I have new ones just don't know which ones to replace
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

this manual is tough to come by. The best way to check the relays is to swap them out one at a time with a known good one and if no change reinstall the old one .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ther are about 80 of these between the two panels. It's my understanding that grove is now a subsidiary of Mantiwoc cranes now if that helps on location of a manual . I know what you mean as I have tried to find a manual myself
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Ill see what I can come up with but will need some time on that one....

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

We can post back and forth as needed. i log in in between jobs as time allows

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just found out Minnpar has the grove manlift division have their number if it helps 1-***-***-****
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

I have an account with Minnpar but they have parts.... and likely parts manuals... Ill be back in touch. Will likely be tomorrow.

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not yet in fact things have gotten worse. The travel.boom, riser and jib boom have ceased working all at once and quite suddenly the only things working are the swing basket rotation and tilt and steering all the functions on ground work it is just the basket controls that are giving me a fit the engine will rev with any function you try in the basket but the hydraulics don't respond
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the updated info. Check inside the hydraulic filter for fine metal/debris indicating a pump or component failure occurring. Let me know If founds we know there are mechanical problems. If clean then check for power to the control solenoids on the control valve and if no power inspect the harness, relays, and switches.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dan is there some kind of computer in it I fired it up this morning and it was like something reset and the basket controls worked don't know but I it's about to make me pull my hair out hard to fix something that when you go to fix it it decides to work one of those gremlins I guess