Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a 9030b case excavator and the brakes lock up after

Customer Question

I have a 9030b case excavator and the brakes lock up after the machine is worked for a time. The drive operates as it should at start up but both left and right sides lock up after the machine heats up. By running at full throttle while "rocking" the machine back and forth with the boom and manipulating the foot controls, it will eventually free up only to freeze up again when the travel controls are operated next.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Not sure of serial no.but it is a 9030B Case excavator.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If only travel is effected and all other functions are normal then first replace the rotary manifold seals as part of troubleshooting as when the seals bypass pressure travel is effected and can lock up. If the problem still exists you then check the case drain from the drive motors for excessive case drain indicating a drive motor failure. Also check inside the in tank return hydraulic filter for fine metal/debris indicating a pump or drive motor failure occurring and also remove and inspect the travel relief valve cartridges in the main control valve for debris and damaged o rings. Let me know