Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a 70s D3 Dozer and it is turning right fine under

Customer Question

I have a 70s D3 Dozer and it is turning right fine under load but does not turn as well in reverse or not under load.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 79u3758 d3
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have just tried adjusting the linkage. Yes we want to fix it ourselves. We rebuilt the engine this summer.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

hi Michael, My name is ***** ***** the transmission oil and filter condition for burnt smell or discoloration. Also check the filter and suction screen for metal/debris indicating an internal problem. If clean the next step is to check the steering clutches.... It is likely the clutches are worn if you are having steering troubles after adjustment. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problem with transmission. The Dozer is clutching fine. It does not break on one side. Do you know about changing the breaks on this D3?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It turns breaks fine under load.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

thanks for the update. Check the pressures to the steering valve. You should see around 220 PSI or better with the pedal pressed and 0 psi released. also verify the slave cylinders are actually releasing and actuating the yokes with the inspection covers off to observe at the rear. Let me know