Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

My d6c 76a has been sitting for 2 years. Put 20 Gallons of

Customer Question

My d6c 76a has been sitting for 2 years. Put 20 Gallons of oil to move it to my shop. Powershift Trans was empty.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 76a4764 d6c
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well maybe yes Trans work great but leaks out completely while sitting
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was leaking out the shaft seal into the finals but stop That with use. It is a powershift, put 20 gal in still just below add when idle and in nuetral.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Is it leaking externally or still transferring?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seems to be external. Very slow leak. Where is the drain plug?? Manual won't be here til late week.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a seal or plug that can allow the fluid to completely drain over time. Finals are not filling up. Also Trans works great last I'm I used it. Moved to shop to from my hay barn and had good power.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Sorry for the delayed response. I have been away on the road this past week. you will need to remove and clean out the belly pans then have this pressure washed to determine the source of an external leak. The drain plug and suction screen is also accessible from underneath as well. If no external leaks and the final drives are overfilling it is a known issue that happens and the only fix is to pull ans reseal the transmission output. However for an occasional use machine I know some will top off the transmission until the finals eventually equalize the transmission level and no further top off or transfer happens.... The finals will be running slightly overfull but the transfer no longer occurs. So if you do not want the expense of resealing the transmission it will likely run for years like this if there are no external leaks once the oil levels equalize. It is always recomended to fix things right but on these some prefer to leave them alone and let the finals run a bit high. click this link for more FYI.