Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Medium/Heavy Duty Technician, Hydraulics, Brakes, Electrical Certified
9290743

Sterling Actera 5500 dump truck

Customer Question

Sterling Actera 5500 dump truck
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My sterling Actera 5500 dump truck has an issue with the volt meter in the cluster. For some reason it is loosing voltage when I accelerate and gaining it when I brake. We have changed the alternator, instrument cluster, batteries and dash wiring harness. We are still having the issue. What else can we look at??
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon

what engine do have in this truck.?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3126 caterpillar
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 7 months ago.

curious as to what the voltage is reading,please let me know

The cluster reads the voltage from the data stream from the engine ecm

usually it reads off the battery feeds ,but on sterling set up it could be of ignition,

inspect the ecm ignition ignition and battery fuses and make sure they are tight in the receptacles,also inspect the fuses for hairline cracks,I have seen a rash of those the last little while,

have a look at let me know how to do.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The voltage reads 14 volts And the harness and that fuse box all fuses are tight and secure 14 bowl reading at batteries and on harness connector going into instrument cluster Digital voltmeter in cluster reads a Radick why all other voltage checks were constant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Digital volt meter read erratic. Mostly around 12.4 when accelerating and 13.7 when idle. Then around 14.1 while braking
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 7 months ago.
Wow
I'll opt out and see if another expert can help, this is a interested one, I'm not to sure on this one.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is there anyone else who can give me some advice?? Still looking for some answers on this!! I ran an wire to a manual gauge and that one always reads 14.1 directly from the alternator even when the voltmeter in the cluster looses voltage. Help!!!
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Have you put a gauge or meter inline to see what the reading difference are? I know you had one on the alternator, but I am referring on the feed to the gauge in the cluster. If I can get the full VIN on the truck, I can see what the diagram shows that feeds the cluster. I think on this one it feeds off the ECM and you could be having voltage issues in it. That is why I am asking.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The voltage readings in the harness at the ecm and instrument cluster fuse box and batteries is consistently 14.1 with engine running. The full VIN is 2fzhchak63al63374. It is a 2003 sterling after a automatic with a 3126 caterpillar
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sterling actera
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

You have the electronic cluster where the gauge goes through the main harness.

Have you tried connecting a laptop to program the cluster or see if there are communication errors? The analog is good, but there is an issue on the digital signal. This could be an issue in the ECM or the VECU fragmenting the signal or there could be a terminating resistor issue. There is one in the ECM and the other is on the back, left of the truck in the C section of the frame, just past the drives. It will be a little box where the wires end. If that is shorting, it can cause the wrong signal going to the cluster. Otherwise, this will need a laptop connected and see which module is doing the wrong reading on the digital signal.