Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

1984 D4E JUST PERCHASED FROM GOV DOZER WILL NOT PULL IT IS

Customer Question

1984 D4E JUST PERCHASED FROM GOV DOZER WILL NOT PULL IT IS FREE WHEELING PUT IN GEAR DOES NOTHING PUSH WITH ANOTHER D0ZER IT JUST ROLLS FREELY PLEASE HELP
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

The gears in the drives have been removed to let it freewheel. Remove the drive hub covers and see if there are gears missing. This is how you can move dozer if engine is not running.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dozer was serviced, all fluids and filters in 2007. Dozer ran for 8 hours then would not move itself. Also, dozer rolls freely, put in gear and it does nothing

OK, pull the drive covers and look for a broken axle shaft . If either side is broken it will free wheel and not drive.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thank you. we will try that
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no covers on it

I don't have access to Cat manual or this. Only link I know of this tis 777 link, and you have to pay to view! With tractor having no drive and free wheeling, it has lost something in the final drive. You can either find a Cat manual on Ebay r see if you want to view the 777 site. Sorry.

Sorry, I can't help. I am going to opt out. Let's find a Cat Expert. Please do not respond to me or it will lock the question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Herman, My name is***** post your serial number of your machine. Remove the final drive covers after draining them on both sides and check for anything broken or missing. If all is in tact then this is an indication of a failed steering clutch. Let me know what time zone you are for the best times to call. I am on EST Here. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The serial number is *****
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where are the drive covers located on this year? I have been searching for a schematic and can't seem to find one.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Herman, thanks for the updated information. Your set up is actually different for this older machine. It is likely you have a steering clutch issue causing your lost drive. Click these links for more FYI on this.

Steering clutches

Steering clutches 2

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

To access you need to remove the covers at the top rear of the machine.