Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Have a Case 621d that doesn't move. Forward and Reverse do

Customer Question

Have a Case 621d that doesn't move. Forward and Reverse do not engage just keeps blinking. Machine does turn on. Have 4 codes
46229, 46058, 86086, 46231
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Serial # JEE0133577
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check all your fuses and relays and for power in and out of the transmission shift controller to the transmission solenoids. Also check the oil condition for discoloration or burnt smell as well as metal/debris in the oil and filter/suction screen indicating an internal failure occurring and let me know the results. The codes I will have to dig into when I have access either late tonight or tomorrow if that works for you. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan,
Checked all fuses and relays and they checked out good. Oil is good no metal in filters. Prior to it not moving the T fuse was blown. With the fuse blown machine did not move. Replaced fuse and was able to work machine for about 3 hrs before it finally stopped moving again. Checked fuse again but it was good. It seems the machine went into transmission shutdown mode. Checked the harness that goes to the solenoid control valve for problems. Found that the harness has good continuity from transmission harness that connects under cab to solenoid control valve harness. On the solenoid control valve connector have power to pins 1-7 in reverse. I think that the problem could be with pin 7, output sw power VPS1.The codes i have. I am having trouble understanding them though.
46229
Error at communication on CAN
Possible steps for repair:
1. Check the cluster controller
2. Check the wire of the CAN-BUS
3. Check cable to cluster controller
What is the cluster controller? The CAN-BUS?46058
Short circuit to battery voltage or open circuit at output speed sensor
Possible steps for repair:
1. Check the cables from TCU to the sensor.
2. Check the connectors.
3. Check the speed sensor
Is the TCU the Transmission control Module?86086
Digital input states (internal to software)
Possible steps for repair:
1. Operate the machine to verify all functions and monitoring systems are working properly (no yellow or red warnings, normal operation).
2. Monitor cluster performance during machine operational check (no new diagnostic codes, no erratic behavior, flashing icons, etc.).
3. If all systems and operations are normal, clear diagnostic codes and continue machine operation.
4. Monitor machine for recurrence of fault codes.
5. Repeated codes may be an indication of a pending cluster failure.46213
Error at switch 1 for solenoid power supply
Possible steps for repair
1. Check fuse A2
2. Check cable from control valve to TCU
3. Check connectors from control valve to TCU
4. Replace TCU
With the machine turned on i can erase all the codes except 46213. If i turn off the machine then on again the other 3 will appear.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the update.... Ill note each for further help.

The codes i have. I am having trouble understanding them though.
46229
Error at communication on CAN
Possible steps for repair:
1. Check the cluster controller
2. Check the wire of the CAN-BUS
3. Check cable to cluster controller
What is the cluster controller? The CAN-BUS?This is the controller ( computer that controls the instrument cluster) CAN BUS is part of the data link and memory. Take a close look at the harness and connector pins or possibly a faulty controller if the wiring tests good.

46058
Possible steps for repair:
2. Check the connectors.
3. Check the speed sensor
Is the TCU the Transmission control Module? Yes it is

86086
Possible steps for repair:
5. Repeated codes may be an indication of a pending cluster failure.

46213
Possible steps for repair
1. Check fuse A2
4. Replace TCU

If the hatrness and wiring test okay this could be a faulty TCU

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is the cluster controller located on this machine?
Is there anyway to guranttee that the TCU is indeed the cause of the problem and replacing it will fix it.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The only way to test is to try reprogramming the existing one at the dealer and see it will reprogram successfully.... If the wiring and connectors all check okay it will narrow it down to the controller or shift lever itself.

http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr58769ar270710

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The first link has the TCU.... Second has the shift lever and the cluster(gauges)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If i put a test light that is grounded on transmission solenoid valve y2 the machine will try to move but will not engage in reverse.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The test light was put on wire 17 and 18 located under the cab going to the control valve. What do you think the machine trying to move doing this procedure indicate?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like you were changing the voltage to the solenoids which is controlled by the shift lever and the TCU. Test power in and out to the shift lever as worn contacts can cause no power to the solenoids.... Also the TCU if the wiring checks good.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have voltage between pins 1-7 on the connector for the control valve when the shift lever is in reverse. Is this the normal operation? I thought i should only have power for the solenoids that activate the reverse and not power to all of them. I checked the shift lever. The wires that send signal from the shift lever to the TCU check out ok. Power switches from each wire for foward, neutal, and reverse ok. The problem is after the signal comes out from the TCU to where the wires that control the control valve. Any thoughts on this?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

If all that checks out with the shift lever and the wiring harness it points to a failed TCU. Have the dealer bench test and reflash ( reprogram) the TCU to see if it will successfully take a reflash. If not it will need to be replaced. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If the speed sensor is bad would this cause the machine to not move? How do you check the sensor?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The speed sensor should not cause the machine not to move. It is an output speed sensor. Check the wiring harness for shorted or damaged wiring or connector pins. If okay inspect the sensor tip for damage. I can not say what the OHMs reading should be on the sensor itself . Check the wiring harness for the TCU and shift control lever. If okay everything points to the TCU.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Currently still trying to figure out if it is indeed the TCU that is faulty. Dealer says new TCU $3900 plus no reman available. Talked to dealer about reflashing or reprogramming the TCU i have but they said they don't do them at the dealer. It is something they send out. Waiting to hear back from them for a estimated turn around time.Going to look at code 46213 again tomorrow as this is the code i can't erase.
Any ideas to what connects to fuse A2?
Where does the power supply come from?
Are there any switches, solenoids, diodes or other electrical component that connects to before going into the TCU.
Maybe the problem could be located somewhere here.