Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Found your reply to" I have a deere 444h loader that wont

Customer Question

Hello Dan, Found your reply to " I have a john deere 444h loader that wont out of second gear."
Our 444H has the same symptoms, and reverts to limp mode after about a second in 3rd or 4th. We had recently repaired the trans. as the pressure tube had popped out of it's socket and all oil volume had returned to resevoir (case). So checked clutch specs, new oil, new filter; all seemed okay. After repair it operated very well for about 2-3 hundred hours. Speedometer failed, so I replaced 2 shaft speed sensors- no change. I had damaged the one during disassembly for the pressure tube repair.
Is shifting controlled partly by the spedometer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello Edwin, It's Dan. What is the serial number of your machine?

The controller sees engine speed signal and vehicle speed signal to determine shift points. What is the serial number of your machine so I can be sure to get you the correct information for your machine? Also by chance do you have the old link to the other question you referenced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dan
I'll get the serial number and send it with my next contact. The old
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update Edwin. This was my post on that one.

"Hi my name is***** will try to help you with this. First we need to determine whether this is electrical or an internal problem in your transmission. Check all your gear positions from your controller to see what gears are working an which are not. Using a test light in each gear position, test for power at the solenoids in your transmission with the ignition switch on/machine off and a helper in the cab moving the selector for you. If you have power to the solenoids in all gear positions then your controller and wiring should be ok. However, Pay close attention to the 2nd gear position to see if the solenoid is keeping power at all times and not disengaging. If so then check your harness and directional controller for a short. If all electrical tests out good then check your filter/strainer and oil for signs of metal/debris that would indicate internal problems and that your transmission is in need of overhaul. Finally, Have your transmission pressures checked and compared to OEM specs. Write down your transmission info from your transmission tag and (copy and paste this link in your browser) They will be able to provide you with the specific information on your transmission by model and serial number. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance."

When the transmission shifts and defaults back into second gear it is going into "Limp mode" which is a safety mechanism to get you off the rail road tracks per say. The computer will resort to limp mode when another fault in your transmission is detected. Check your trans oil level, oil condition (burnt smell, low level, discoloration, etc), check for signs of metal and debris that would indicate an internal problem with your transmission. If you have access yo a test ECM then you can verify if you may possibly have an ECM problem if everything else checks out ok. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Dan , but I won't be able to get back to work on that machine for a while and therefore I am not able to rate your response fairly. As it is my machine and I need it for work this winter, I assure you that I will be using the info you supplied and also letting you know how I am doing. I may need more info, or I may be able to rate you at that time.
Hope this works for you,