Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a john deere 310a backhoe that i have put a rebuilt

Customer Question

i have a john deere 310a backhoe that i have put a rebuilt engine engine in i now have the machine running, however the hydraulics are not coming up. the machine set or 4 yrs. i covered the lines to the pump but left the transmission lines open. the oil level is correct.
this morning i removed the coil on the selenoid valve and checked it i do not have 12volts on it with the key on. should i ? the serial number is ***** a late model but the selenoid is a single wire which would be for an early model possible it could have been changed over the years. i have had this machine for 23 yrs.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi Doug, My name is***** will be glad to help. The solenoid on the front hydraulic pump is a destroke solenoid to destroke the pump when the engine is cranking over to keep any hydraulic load off of the engine while cranking over. You should see power while cranking. Let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where should i look next as the transmission is full of oil? all the hyd valves were stuck when i brought the power up. by working on them i have got hem to free up. if the valve i waas referring to is just a relief valve that shows the pump in the transmission is not picking the oil up o require the valve to work. could air getting into the system maybe stopped up the filter. ???
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Are both the hydraulics and the transmission not working? the hydraulic pump is driven off the front of the engine crankshaft pulley by a drive coupling. check that the coupling has not failed which is common. the transmission is separate and in this model called a reverser. If you have lost both drive and hydraulics, you have two separate issues here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when installing the engine i replaced the coupling on the high pressure pump on the front of the engine it is sound. as i understand it the pump in the transmission must pump to the high pressure pump first and foremost. it is not doing so. i have no transmission at this point. it has set for 4 yrs.
was working fine when it slung the rod.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

How does the suction screen look and transmission oil? sounds like possible clutch problem or faulty reverser. Was there any metal/debris in the oil or filter/screen?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ahh a new clutch pressure plate and throughout bearing were installed. Dan i have to retreat from this a couple of days. will check the screen and change oil filter. ( interested about the statement about the clutch). would you elaborate on that? don't worry i have been a member of just answer for a few years i will take care of you.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

I would start at the oil and suction screen to see what you get out of it and if theres any indication of a failure.

The reverser has a forward clutch pack and a reverse clutch pack. Forward clutch pack failures are common. There is a conventional clutch and pressure plate which I believe you are referring too. Your clutch pedal should push down half way with ease then have resistance, the first part of the clutch pedal is opening a valve in the reverser portion of the trans and dumping pressure, thus placing the machine in neutral, pushing the pedal all the way down acts the same way as a truck or farm tractor, releasing the disc on the end of the flywheel to disengage the clutch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks that is what i needed to know. i will be back thursday morning and check the screen in the transmission. will let you know what i find.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Pleasure to help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi Dan : got back last night pulled the drain plug before coming to work his morning . i will observe the filters and screen tomorrow. remember i told you that all the valves were stuck when i brought the motor up outriggers, bucket and hoe. this makes me suspect that the clutch you are referring to
in the shuttle may be stuck. YOU ARE THE MECHANIC. what do you think in this respect? the machine was running fine with the shuttle prior to the engine removal and setting for four years.
if this is the case do you have suggestions. i will give you a follow-up Monday thank you very much for the effors you are putting forth Doug
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi Doug, Thanks for the follow up. The first part of the clutch pedal is a valve that drops off the clutch pressure in the reverser before disengaging the mechanical clutch. Let me know what you find for debris that would confirm a failure internally. If clean you will need to have the reverser pressures tested. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi Dan had a chance to look at the filter and screen seems to be clean. however i never tested the clutch after the engine installation. after the last transmittal with you i tested the clutch and it is not depressing. after investigation into this the clutch must have gotten crushed when installing the engine.
the good news i think is after working with it i was able to get some vibration at the shuttle lever
but no engagement upon further inspection i found a leak in the high pressure line from the transmission to the front pump. this i think means the pump in the transmission would work if the clutch were engaged. going to break it down this weekend to see what i find with the clutch. please be patient i will get there and let you know after labor day Doug