Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Dan, I'm out in the middle of nowhere alaska and we have a

Customer Question

Hi dan, I'm out in the middle of nowhere alaska and we have a volvo ec290b it will crank, but not start, it's showing er13 and er14 on the mdu, and it doesn't help or change if I switch it to manual mode on the switch by the fuse block, I also checked out the relay box by the fuel tank and all that checks out good
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** is your serial number?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well that's a problem, the whole data plate is missing off the side, I'll get the boss to go through his records and see if he can find it, but it's a volvo ec290blc excavator
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Both of those codes are datalink communication error codes from either a loss of power to the controller or a faulty controller. ER13 is J1939 ( slow link) fault and ER14 is J1587( fast link) fault Check all fuses and relays and confirm power and grounds at the VECU and EECU. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked all the connectors from the mdu and fuse block to the computer and removed and inspected the wire harness, all checks out good, I checked the relays by the fuel tank too, would you know what pins to check for powers and grounds to the vecu and eecu? Or just turn key on with unplugged harness and poke around with a multimeter? I don't have a manual for this piece of equipment, probably should buy one
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any other way to check codes? I have a buddy in town that has a a program and hookups for volvo in town, I'll get ahold of that too
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Volvo VCADS is the program to use. You can also test your powers and grounds. Bare with me while I upload some info to help

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Click on this link for the troubleshooting information /diagrams to help and fault codes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got that downloaded finally, I got pulled off of it yesterday, but I'm back on it now, ours is the older one with the (mdu) in the spot where it shows the hvac control head, I'll take a closer look at the manual though, I'm guessing the pins for powers and grounds and communications between the eecu and vecu would be the same
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted on the results. Pleasure to help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
K, umm.... Lol, there is no indication of the pin assortment on ether the plug or the ecu's is there any possibility of obtaining a picture of the plugs and pin layout?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh and my satellite internet has been pretty spotty lately, sorry for the slow response
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi John, Click on this link I uploaded for you. This is what I have for information and diagrams to help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey there, I finally received some numbers it's a year 2003, serial number EC290ELCV10724, does that help?, all the trouble shooting stuff you sent was for the newer model, will it work for this older one
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the update. i found a PDF manual for the older models for under 25. Click on this link to access.