catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

My 4wheeldrive quit working on my 416 backhoe how does the

Customer Question

my 4wheeldrive quit working on my 416 backhoe how does the solenoid to turn the 4wheel on
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Construction Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the machine has a switch on the insttrument panel to turn the 4wheel on and off but it does not do anything now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Construction Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: i don;t know what else to tell him or her
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 3 months ago.

When the operator activates the electric switch on the side console, the solenoid is powered and pushes the solenoid valve spool down against the spring. When the spool moves far enough, a passage is opened that allows oil under pressure to flow to the drive shaft. The oil flows through the shaft to engage the clutch pack. With the clutch pack engaged, the drive input at the gear is then transmitted through the clutch pack, the shaft and to the output drive flange.