Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a link-belt LS 5000 excavator. The swing-lock pawl is

Customer Question

I have a link-belt LS 5000 excavator. The swing-lock pawl is broken. What procedures do I need to do to remove said pawl
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where can I get a repair manual. I already have an owner/service manual
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi Albert, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is your machine serial number? What do you mean by she swing lock pawl? You have a swing gearbox and swing motor with a swing brake that's internal at the top of the swing motor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
s/n 20F9-366C The swing pawl locks the machine so that the machine will not rotate while traveling and when the machine is parked.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the update Albert. Can you take a few pictures of the area around and the broken pawl/ locking pin? It will be helpful in giving you the procedure you will need to take to remove the broken pin depending on how much is exposed and if there is enough room to weld a threaded rod to the top and pull out with a spacer sleeve and a hollow center hydraulic ram. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried to get pictures and none came out as the pawl assy is down in a 8" hole about 30" down and there is no light. Are you at all familiar with a LS 5000 and location of various systems? There is not enough room to do any welding through the observation port, let alone get a hydraulic ram in there
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the update Albert. Since the pin has dropped that far down is it stopping the machine from swinging? Is it down far enough to install another pin as the only way to get that out if you can not get to it from the top since it is dropped down would be to split the machine unfortunately. The car body will need to be raised and the track frame assembly pulled out from underneath after disconnecting the lines, to the rotary manifold, removing the planetaries to be able to pull the track frame out.There are very few of these machines left out there as most have been retired to pits or farms. Some of the parts now are either salvage, fabrication, modification, etc. If it is not effecting your swing and you do not want to get that far involved splitting the machine, I would fabricate a pin with a flange and use that for transport. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The pin has not dropped down and is not stopping the machine from swinging. The machine should not have to be split to repair the pawl assy. This machine does not have a rotary manifold. I really don't feel that any of your replies were of any substantial value because I don't think you are at all familiar with this machine. Please refund the fee that was charged to my bank account.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out. I have never heard of an excavator that has no rotary manifold to allow the machine to swing 360 degrees. I would be interested to heard how the travel motors get there hydraulic pressure on a machine that is designed to swing. Good luck with your repair

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is all gear drive swing and travel engaged with hydraulic acuated brake shoes inside of 4 large brake drums. One drum for each direction of swing and the other set operate each track through gears going to the chains that turn the tracks. There are no travel motors. I will figure this out on my own, I have plenty of time as I'm a retired farmer. I just thought that this forum would at least give me info on where to get started. What procedures do I need to go through to get my money refunded?