Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.

I have a c9 cat in a 35 cabo vessel. No boost, black smoke.

Customer Question

I have a c9 cat in a 35 cabo vessel. No boost , black smoke. Air in is good
Replaced boost sensor "no change"
Replaced riser
Replaced fuel filters
Does not have waste gate
Any suggestions?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Is there a check engine light on? Or are there any codes?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No light
Do not have a computer hook up
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the information.Since the check engine light does not come on, I would suspect 1 of 2 things are causing your problem.The first is low fuel pressure. If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 65 and 85 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located on the back of the cylinder head. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.Second I would suspect you have a low boost condition. This can be caused by a leak in the air piping or air to air aftercooler. I would first inspect all of the piping to see if there is a hole in any of the rubber boots that hold the pipes. From there you may want to cap off one side of the air to air cooler, and pressurize it. They have been known to crack and leak and cause low boost. If the air piping is OK, I would next suspect the turbo. You can remove the piping and inspect the fins for damage. Also make sure there is not too much end play on the shaft. It should be less than an 1/8 of an inch.
Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.