Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.

New Holland L785 with Ford motor about 1992 vintage. 1)

Customer Question

New Holland L785 with Ford motor about 1992 vintage.
1) Bucket up and down and tilt stop working periodically. Must shut off the machine and restart before there can be any movement. Float also does not work when this happens. After restart all is normal until it does it again. During the bucket problem the machine moves forward/backward normally. Seat switch/circuit has been rewired. No help.
2) At high RPM the largest of the two hydraulic filters will be destroyed. Obviously too much pressure here. I think a gate valve is stuck. The pressure actually distorts/bends the filter so much oil shoots out at high pressure. Lost half of hydraulic oil when this happened. This filter is designed for only 120 psi and it must be exposed to the full pump pressure which is considerable.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Bucket and boom is locked by the solenoid valves in the function lines. Are you having any voltage issues? Battery and charging system are good and stay up, do not need to be jump started or charged to start? Low voltage will affect the lockout system. As for the filter blowing, check the return line back to the reservoir, the filter is on the return and flow to reservoir should be unrestricted. You have a restriction, causing the filter to be pressurized.

If I owned a L785 and was the only user of the skidsteer, I would remove the solenoid valves and eliminate them from the hydraulic system!