Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a 2000 JCB 456ZX wheel loader and when I shift into

Customer Question

I have a 2000 JCB 456ZX wheel loader and when I shift into first gear I can run any rpm and it works great. When I shift into 2nd then i can run it up to around 1500 or 1600 rpms before it kicks the trans back to neutral and I have to stop. When I shift to 3rd it kicks back to neutral around 1300 to 1400 and stops again. To me it seems to be a certain speed it reaches but not sure. Any thoughts?
Thank you
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I see this has been sitting for a long time. I don;t normally work on these daily, but may be able to assist. If you still need help, please let me know all that you have already tried to diagnose.

If no assistance is needed, please let me know that as well.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback. If you don’t see this screen, please reply with the rating you would like to give.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I have checked liquid levels and I have changed filters on the transmission. There are two ways to shift gears with it. One with the shifter on the side of the steering wheel and one with the shifter on the joystick for the bucket operation. Both have the same results. Im not sure what else to check but im pretty good at mechanic so guess is there a speed sensor I need to check or way to check this one without replacing it. Sorry hope this gives you something not real sure what else to check or tell ya. Thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi Zachary, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the old filters and oil condition for fine metal/debris indicating an internal problem as well as the oil for discoloration and burn smell indicating the same. If clean and the pressures are in specs not indicating a clutch leaking internally dropping off pressure, the problem could be electrical as you thought. Verify power at the shift solenoids and see if power is dropping off to any of the solenoids when this happens. Verify power in and out of the shift controller as well for a possible faulty shift controller or harness. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Check the transmission neutralizer circuit as well to see if this is functioning properly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks so much for the ideas I will check these and get back to you.