Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.
30708357

I have a 05 c15 msx that's dumping a lot of engine oil in

Customer Question

I have a 05 c15 msx that's dumping a lot of engine oil in the coolant but no coolant in oil. Already put on brand new cat oil cooler with no change: any ideas ?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
9 times out of 10 the cause of oil in the coolant is a failed oil cooler.
When it's not, there are only 2 other things that can cause this.
The first is a cracked head
Second is a cracked block.Cracked heads and blocks are very rare. However. I have gotten many bad out of the box oil coolers. Anytime I change an oil cooler and the engine continues to get oil in the coolant. I change the oil cooler again. About 1 out of 8 oil coolers I get are bad out of the box.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do we test to determine the problem for sure?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Many dealers can pressure test the oil cooler. That's the best way. If the cooler test good. I would next suspect the head.
I just like to be positive on the oil cooler. I have seen folks change the the head and it end up being a second bad oil cooler.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.

Hey I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my answer was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!