Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a new Holland LS 170 skid steer it won't start I have

Customer Question

I have a new Holland LS 170 skid steer it won't start I have changed the injector solenoid now it blows out black smoke while trying to start. it is getting fuel and oil is up to level, filters are all good turns over really good but doesn't start and run it almost seems like it will start but won't run?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

When did it last run? Could it have had gas added to the diesel tank? If you loosen an injection line at the injector nozzle at the head, do you have fuel squirting when cranking? Not just dribbling?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it has run about a year ago I haven't checked the injectors yet for pressure I am sure that it doesn't have gas in the fuel. but I will check the injectors later tonight when I get back to the shop
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if it has low pressure will need to rebuild the injector pump? or will it be the fuel pump I do no that it is getting fuel and the fuel filter is not plugged up I have checked it! But not sure about the injectors while turning it over.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it seems to try to start and almost dose but won't quite run. I even tried new fuel out of a jug direct to the fuel pump. it is blowing out a lot of black smoke while turning over.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Curtis while starting it should be blue smoke instead of black smoke am I right in my other one it is blue when it first starts. I may be wrong but this is what I was thinking?

black smoke is too much fuel or too little air. Have you removed air filter element to see if it will start?

This is glow plug engine. are the glow plugs heating up ?

Did you see my last responses?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went out to the shop and bled off the injectors and got it started it blows allot of smoke will the turbo cause this? it is hard starting but once it starts it dose smoke allot I think that it was aired up due to the solenoid going bad while it was running. if the turbo is bad will It cause it to smoke really bad?

Yes, if turbo is bad, it will smoke excessively! But I thought this engine was natural aspirated and had no turbo!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did you get my last question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no this is a turbo charged engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the LS 170 is turbo charged

I believe you, I just missed it when I looked at the intake manifold! Is turbo truning freely, or is it locked up and not rotating freely?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll check it out today and get back to you about it later today! is there any other things in the turbo that will make it smoke are there sealing rings in to keep it from leaking oil into the impeller?

No. eotjer air is restricted from plugged filter, or turbo is not spinning up to speed.