Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 1987 deere 455e loader crawler. Was working fine

Customer Question

I have a 1987 John deere 455e loader crawler. Was working fine when I shifted from reverse to forward and nothing. Now it won't move forward or reverse? I can hear the gears if I shift the 1,2,3,4. Shifter they seem to be spinning but not like normal I can go from one great to another with out the clutch. Seems like shuttle shift reverser is just not engaging?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Scott, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the filter and suction screen for metal/debris indicating an internal failure of the reverser as well as for burnt or discoloration of the oil. If found the reverser will have to be rebuilt. If clean, the next step is to have the pressures tested and confirmed they are in OEM specs. Also, check and verify the clutch is within adjustment and has not failed causing a loss of power to the reverser. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been using this crawler daily for the last month it has been running flawlessly in one shift from reverse to forward it won't move. Something broke or came unhooked (linkage) outside looks ok I don't know what inside looks like.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Check inside the old filters for metal/debris. If there is a failure of the reverser. the filters will catch the debris . Click on this link to help in the parts breakdowns to assist in identifying your parts.

Parts

Type in your model, got to sectional index next and then the transmission and clutch section to see the breakdowns of the linkage. Inspect the clutch linkage for excessive wear or damage. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I have to run out for a few hours but we can post back and forth as needed and I will reply back on my next available logins.