Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 1999 Case 1840 skid steer I'm having problems with

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Case 1840 skid steer I'm having problems with how much does it cost to get some info?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

I can try , what kind of problem do you have?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right side drive has gotten weak
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Left side seems to be working just fine and rest of machine

Right side is loosing pressure. Problem is determining if it is the pump or the drive motor. It is not anything to do with oil or filter, as that would affect both sides. The only way to know which is bad, is to take both of the parts to hydraulic shop and have them test or rebuild both pump and motor on the right side.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Drive motor is brand new and tandem pump does not have many hours on it. We replaced it not to long ago. I checked charge pressure and almost 400psi. I havnt been able to find anything on what else to check. I checked the pressures on the servo and the difference between left and right is that the right has 125psi at idle and left has 0 until you move lever then it goes up to 125psi then back to 0psi when it starts to move
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I read something about checking orfice but didn't see anything in the hole

The servo is the control of the output of the drive pump . Unless it is not keeping pressure on the swash plate.?? Right side never drops back to zero , like the left?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no sir.

I don't know about any orifice.

None listed in the parts manual.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It shows an orifice underneath an allen 1/8 plug right next to the manual displacement control. one guy posted a diagram that showed to check charge pressure and if it was good to make sure orifice is clean. On the picture it shows a picture of something small under plug but I was never able to find anything underneath unless it has to be pulled out some how.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what do you suggest we do. I think it is something simple just need to figure it out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually it has more power in reverse than in forward

My suggestion is to take it to a good hydraulic shop that can test it! Not many can! I was In Texas and we had Texas Hydraulics , which had test stand and could check any hydrostatic pump or motor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not what I wanted to hear. Do you think that spool could have that effect?

If the servo is not keeping the swash plate at maximum stroke, it could affect the output of the drive pump. Without replacing or swapping the spool, I don't see any way of knowing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
would I need to swap sleeve also or just spool?

Just spool.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I couldn't figure out how to get sleeve out I was scared of damaging it

Sleeve is just that, a sleeve and does not need to be removed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I pulled out spool to right side and it had some scratches. then put it back in then removed it again after turning it a bit and it came out more scratched up

!! Not good, what is making the scratches? When pressures are in the 5000 psi range, dirt or debris wipes out pumps and motors in short order!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What ever is down in that sleeve is causing it. you can feel it. it feels kind of rough. should you be able to turn spool all the way around with no problem? I'm going to say its at top of sleeve cause it leaves the scratch all the from top to bottom of spool right under oring
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't know if spool had to be set in at a certain direction

Spool should be free to rotate. You mean depth ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can we continue this tomorrow I need to get some rest gotta get up real early?

Sure, past my bedtime too!