Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Have 590-9 code on a cat 345 (PJW) also flashes "cold

Customer Question

Have 590-9 code on a cat 345 (PJW) also flashes "cold mode","injectors disabled",throttle position sensor warning.. before shutting off. usually able to restart. shut off auto idle and machine dose fine
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Construction Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Have changed both engine speed sensors. engine ecm harness about three months ago. ECM last year do to a miss diagnosis
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Construction Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: Going to start checking main harness.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Here is the information for your code. Try a reflash of the ECM software and check the harness and connector pins for any damage, etc. or faulty ECM.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the Machine ECM does not receive the expected information from the Engine ECM.
The likely possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:

• The software that is installed on the Engine ECM is incorrect.
  • The software that is installed on the Machine ECM is incorrect.

System Response:
When this diagnostic code is active, the following occurs:

• Engine shutdown due to diagnostic feature is disabled.
  • Loss of engine data over Cat Data Link.
  • Operator station fault lamp is active.
  • The following pop-up message shows on graphical display: "Loss of communication with Engine. Engine features may be disabled."

Test Step 1. VERIFY THE HARDWARE AND THE SOFTWARE PART NUMBERS.

1. Verify that the following information is correct:
    • The part number of the software of the Machine ECM
    • The part number of the Engine ECM software
    • The part number of the Machine ECM
    • The part number of the Engine ECM
    Note: Consult the Business Unit that produces the product for the correct part numbers of the configuration software.

Expected Result:
All part numbers are correct.
Results:

• OK - All part numbers are correct. Proceed to Test Step 2.
  • NOT OK - All part numbers are NOT correct. The part number of the Machine ECM may be incorrect. The part number of the Engine ECM may be incorrect. The incorrect configuration software may also be installed.Repair: Replace the incorrect ECM with an ECM that has the correct part number. Flash the correct configuration software. See Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module - Flash Program".
    STOP

Test Step 2. INSPECT THE HARNESS CONNECTIONS.

1. Turn the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

1. Inspect all harness connections that are related to the Cat Data Link. Make sure that the connectors are clean and tight.

1. Check the connectors for proper mating.

1. Check the wires at the connector.

1. Check each wire for nicks or signs of abrasion in the insulation.

1. Check for moisture at the connector.

1. Check the connectors for dirty contacts or corroded contacts.

1. Check each pin and check each socket of the machine harness connectors.

Expected Result:
The machine harness connectors are tight and free of corrosion.
Results:

• OK - The machine harness connectors are tight and free of corrosion. Proceed to Test Step 3.
  • NOT OK - The machine harness connectors are in need of repair.Repair: Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
    STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK FOR SHORTS TO GROUND.

1. The disconnect switch remains in the OFF position.

1. Disconnect the machine harness from all electronic control modules that use the Cat Data Link.

1. At the machine harness for the Machine ECM, measure the resistance between frame ground and connector contacts J2-16 (wire 892-BR) and J2-25 (wire 893-GN) of the Cat Data Link circuit.

Expected Result:
The resistance is greater than 5000 ohms.
Results:

• OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 ohms. The harness circuit resistance is correct. Proceed to Test Step 4.
  • NOT OK - The resistance is less than 5000 ohms. The machine harness has failed.Repair: There is a short between frame ground and the Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
    STOP

Test Step 4. CHECK FOR A SHORT TO THE +BATTERY CIRCUIT.

1. All related electronic control modules remain disconnected from the machine harness.

1. At the machine harness connector for the Machine ECM, perform the checks that are listed here:
    • Measure the resistance between the connector contact J1-1 (wire 184-RD) and connector contact J2-16 (wire 892-BR).
    • Measure the resistance between connector contact J1-1 (wire 184-RD) and connector contact J2-25(wire 893-GN).

Expected Result:
Results:

• OK - The harness circuit resistance is correct. Proceed to Test Step 5.
  • NOT OK - The resistance is less than 5000 ohms. The machine harness has failed.Repair: There is a short between the +battery circuit and the Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
    STOP

Test Step 5. CHECK FOR AN OPEN HARNESS.

1. Check the continuity of the Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness:
    • Measure the resistance between connector contact J2-16 (wire 892-BR) of the Machine ECM and connector contact J1-9 (wire 892-BR) of the Engine ECM.
    • Measure the resistance between connector contact J2-25 (wire 893-GN) of the Machine ECM and connector contact J1-8 (wire 893-GN) of the Engine ECM.

Expected Result:
The resistance measures less than 5 ohms.
Results:

• OK - The resistance is less than 5 ohms. The Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 6.
  • NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 ohms. The machine harness has failed.Repair: The Cat Data Link circuit is open in the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
    STOP

Test Step 6. CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTIC CODES FOR THE OTHER ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES.

1. Reconnect all the electronic control modules that use the Cat Data Link.

1. Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.

1. After each of the electronic control modules has been reconnected, check the Event List for diagnostic codes that are logged against the electronic control module.

Expected Result:
Diagnostic codes are not present for the other electronic control modules (ECM) in the event list.
Results:

• OK - Diagnostic codes are not present for the other electronic control modules (ECM) in the event list.Repair: The Machine ECM may have failed. A failure of the ECM is unlikely. Exit this procedure and perform the diagnostic code procedure again. If the problem persists, the ECM may have failed. Prior to replacing an ECM, always contact your dealership for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time. See the Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
    STOP
  • NOT OK - Diagnostic codes are present for the other electronic control modules (ECM) in the event list.Repair: The Engine ECM may have failed. A failure of the ECM is unlikely. Exit this procedure and perform the diagnostic code procedure again. If the problem persists, the ECM may have failed. Prior to replacing an ECM, always contact your dealership for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time. See the Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
    STOP
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Umm.......... Thats right out of the cat Service Information System which I have.. Sorry but I am not paying for tha
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Chris, I was field service for Cat. So what are the result of the troubleshooting steps? what part of the testing are you having trouble with or what are your concerns? Reflash and update your software was my recommendation. I then supported that with the more detailed information from the manual. Do you need help with this or not?

"Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Here is the information for your code. Try a reflash of the ECM software and check the harness and connector pins for any damage, etc. or faulty ECM."

If you werent aware we can post back and forth as needed. I guess you should have stated the results of these steps as I am not aware of what you already have for information. I like to be thorough. Let me know