dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road Mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

Volvo l90g D6H engine coolant filling fuel tank/ coming from

Customer Question

Volvo l90g D6H engine coolant filling fuel tank/ coming from return fuel line have cold and warm pressure tested cooling system @ tank psi no intrusion of coolan into the return fuel lines i suspect Injector cups(this engine is new to meand that dosent make sense (maybe)
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Construction Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I also wonder about the burner system (which has coolant and fuel running to it) or the "proport device" which seems to be metering fuel and has passages open to the water jacket (I think).
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to plan a repair that will lead me to the solution to this issue. I cannot dedicate the time or space to a non repaired machine or disable for extended periods of time. I will have parts on hand. I had planned a valve cover removal followed by a single injector removal and inspection. followed by a cooling system pressure test. In the event this leads to nothing i would remove the other injectors and pressure test again. After that I would be forced to remove a injector cup and inspect the head followed by more cups. I feel like this could be fruitless and risky not having a direct work inside this head annd injector setup, as well as the burner/ fuel meter. Still wondering why volvo dosent use an external fuel cooler. Where are they getting enough return fuel cooling?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ALSO SHOULD SAY HAVE REMOVED FUEL TANK FROM SYSTEM. Running off of small remote fresh fuel containers.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. What exactly are you looking for for answers? The coolant around the injector cups cools the injectors and fuel

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your time. Sorry for the lack of explanation to all that information. That is not my question. My question related to this specific engine Volvo D6H in a 2013 Volvo L90G loader. Do you have access to the technical information and dealer level access to Volvo pro sis or equivalent on this particular engine in order to assist me with my question? I am having a technical issue with this engine and need a answer regarding it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will be in and out this afternoon and this evening checking this regularly.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Note: I have customer level PROSIS access, Dealer level parts only access, dealer level machine(2013 L90g) service"workshop" level manual access, Customer level D6H engine manual access but in classic Volvo form they found a way to keep the rest out of my reach. This may sound strange to a fellow mechanic but I have the time on this one to do this. There are plenty of other Cats out there with issues we can plan a repair, implement and and get it back into service with a high level of on time success. I cant risk going into this one without the proper ANSWERS to plan the repair time and nail down the logistics on parts. Again thank you for your time in reviewing this and hopefully you will be able to help.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I do not have dealer level prosis but I believe there is one expert on here who does. His name is ***** ***** well. Let me opt out and hopefully he is able to grab your question. Post the serial number of your machine as well.

Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is dieseldan55, what info are your looking for exactly from prossis? In your opening question it appears you have coolant in the fuel tank and from what you stated that would be were I would look as well. Also the head could be cracked and If I'm reading your expectations of not wanting to tie the machine up. I might want to suggest r/r the head. There is several hits for cracked heads in my research but I normally run into a pressurized fuel tank due to loose injectors as a common failure point not coolant in the tank. I will provide info if its available just let me know what it is your searching for. thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sounds like you may be able to help. Yes i think we would go about it the same way and cracked head is an endpoint. But on this engine directly can the fuel and coolant mix in the "mixing chamber" on the back of the motor or emissions burner which is fed coolant as well. Do the injector cups on this engine have direct contact with coolant or just a machined hole in the block? What is the internal designs of the return fuel galley in relation to the coolant passages and injector cups. Do you have the head or engine technical manual on this engine.

I will put some info together and scan it tonight. The emission burner is free of coolant as are the components. so that is not an issue. The injector cups or the fuel galley nozzles would be were i would concentrate but let me do a look around to see what they offer for info in prossis.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you sounds good. I agree to some extent on the injectors cups "sleeves" as i said in my response to to the other Dan above. here is a paste from that: /////////I had planned a valve cover removal followed by a single injector removal and inspection. followed by a cooling system pressure test. In the event this leads to nothing i would remove the other injectors and pressure test again. After that I would be forced to remove a injector cup and inspect the head followed by more cups. I feel like this could be fruitless and risky not having a direct work inside this head and injector setup, as well as the burner/ fuel meter. //////////

this is the info they list for us in the service books.

I would look at the injector tube item 11 and the cups. I never replace cups on a g model yet but have had the loose torque on the injector clamp, the injector yokes upside down, the needle seat from the common rail fail and the injector lines fail. Your not suppose to re-use the lines but we do, it is handy to get a 17 mm slotted socket to assist in taking the lines off as well as the special torque socket for the injector clamps.

info for special tools on turning the engine over and setting the valves.

tool for injector lines

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank for the information, I do have access to all those files as stated to the previous expert but you are on the right track. Now that we are talking about the same thing here. On that reference number 11. The "javelin/pipe adapter" seats inside of that #11 "sleeve", My question would be related to the purpose of the o rings #'s 7,8, and 9 and what they are sealing? When # 11 is removed from the engine there is openings to the push rod area. Deeper in is what im interested in. O-rings 8 and 9 seem like the would seal #11 from the push rod area ad engine oil in the head. Past # 9 where the pipe adapter seal on the injector, does that allow for a return fuel or coolant "passage" created from the space between 9 and 7 or is that not open or does the area past #9 to metal seal a coolant passage?

Hi, well i thought coolant was running around that sleeve as well but without having one to take apart and of course the limited info from volvo im not sure. Let me place a call to technical to see if they can answer that question tomorrow. I will post when I hear back from them.